Not a big emergency, but I need some advice!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnmjenn

The perils of having a 3 yr old that loves rats...
Simon was playing with Susan today and picked her up by her tail when I wasn't looking. Evidently it was the tip, which is getting slightly pink. She sqeaks when it's touched or bumped. It's not noticably broken, but I feel bad for her! :( Can I give her anything for the pain? Children's tylenol/ibuprophen?

She's still busily scampering all over the place, but she's holding her tail up in a curl! :cry5:

found this on the net....

Degloving is when a part of your rats tail breaks off from being pulled to hard.
Parts of the tail can break completely off or be left only partially connected, turn black and blue or the skin can fall off only leaving bone and muscle exposed.

To Prevent Degloving:
Never pick a rat up by their tail!
Never swing the rat around by the tail!
Never pull on the rats tail!
Also degloving can happen if the rat gets their tail caught in between cage bars or caught on something in the cage or play areas.
If you need to get a hold of the rat very quickly to prevent escape or injury try to grab for a foot rather than the tail.

Degloving Treatment:
If your rat experiences a degloving or tail injury, be sure to clean the wound with wound cleaning solution, such as saline solution, Nolvasan Solution, Chlorehexadine, or Hydrogen Peroxide diluted with water.
Most rats who suffer from a degloving or tail injury NEED to be seen by a Vet immediately.
In some cases the tail may need surgery, stitches and/or amputation.
Antibiotics will most likely be needed to prevent infection from starting or spreading.
A rats tail is directly connected to the spine, and if a serious tail injury is left untreated infection can set in and proceed into the spine which would cause great pain, discomfort and eventual death.
If you leave a tail injury untreated an infection might start and spread throughout the rats body causing Gainge green and other bacteria infections which could result in the rats death.

Thanks, Lindsy!
Luckily her tail was not degloved! That would indeed be awful! The skin is intact and only slightly pink.

... And Simon got the lecture on how important it is NEVER to pick a rattie up by the tail!!!!

Poor sweetie....

Tail injuries show up really easily, so if it was rather bad I'm sure you'd know.

Back