nose bump

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoBa

A couple of days ago I realized that my oldest boy Bodger had a swollen left nose. It might be difficult to see on the photo but he has a bump and I'm not sure what it is-whether it's something to do with his respiratory infection or an abscess or tumour. It's a pinkish colour probably from his skin and is quite hard. Should I go to the vets?

Attachments

• IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 185
It's definitely grown so I'll book an appointment for the vets tomorrow. He's wincing left eye when eating:( A slightly gunky nose as well which could be due to a worsening respiratory infection or maybe an opening for an abscess? We've tried antibiotics but they haven't worked before.

Attachments

• IMG_3261.JPG
    IMG_3261.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_3268.JPG
    IMG_3268.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3269.JPG
    IMG_3269.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 183
hopefully Jorats or lilspaz68 will respond
you can also post on fb group real rat Lovers want to Know

If it is an infection, sometimes vets need to try different antibiotics to find one that will help

It does look very much like an abscess but how old is your rat? Some of the older ones get weird bumps and fat bubbles that are totally benign. However if it is making it hard for your rat to eat or breath then definitely bring him in to the vet. Is the gunk coming from the bump or is it just mucus build up from having the nostril blocked?

It's turning black so most likely is an abscess. We're giving him antibiotics but hopefully it'll pop and heal fine - I just don't know because it's on his nose. He's getting around fine and eating but it can't be comfortable:(

Attachments

• IMG_3276.JPG
    IMG_3276.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 187
Yes he's still quite energetic but what worries me is that the antibiotics most likely won't work because my vets only give the same type out for small animals and even though I tried to ask for a different one they gave me the same baytril that I've given to my rats before which hasn't worked-it might not've been bodger that got them a while ago but still he might've formed a resistance.
Should I do warm compresses or is encouraging it to pop more dangerous?

Poor thing it's so big and I don't know what keeps causing these abscesses. What would happen if it opened? I'm worried because it's on his nose and what would happen to his nasal canals and stuff.. still eating though. I think I might start warm compresses tomorrow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 191
Is that because of the location of the lump? It looks exactly the same as the abscesses he's had before. I'll try to get him in for an appointment at a different vet, but meanwhile should I do warm compresses?

Back