Noisy or Still Sick?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first got my two rats one of them had a minor respiratory infection. It started off as some minor sneezing (they had been living in a 10 gallon fish tank so I thought it would go away once she was moved into a ventilated cage) but over the first five days it just got worse (it became more frequent sneezing and it sounded more mucousy) so I gave her some antibiotics. Her sneeze got much better now she only sneezes maybe once or twice while out during play time, not in her cage. My other girl stayed perfectly healthy over the past month.

But now she has the habit of loud squeaking and other strange noises while playing in her cage and doing other things. I am always worried that she is getting hurt but whenever I check on her she's fine, usually playing with my other girl or just doing ratty things. I am wondering if maybe she got used to being loud while sick and has gotten used to making noise?

If she's playing with another rat she may just be squeaking and carrying on vocally. Is she a baby or a youngster? If she makes these noises when she's alone then it might be an issue.

They’re young, not sure on exact age but under a year. I’ll keep an eye out to make sure it’s just playful noises when they’re together. Thank you!

If she is still sneezing, there many be something irritating her such as scent in the environment.
Rats stay on antibiotics for at least 4 to 6 weeks so if she was on the antibiotics for a shorter period of time, she may still be ill. Good that you are going to keep an eye on her

Back