No ratblock available in my country

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triprasetia

Good afternoon

I am from Indonesia, and there are only few who own rat as pet. The pet store here don’t sell any ratblock, oxbow only rabbits and hamster, chincilla, etc and mazuri only for turtle.
I wonder if there any substitute like can I use oxbow for guinea pig? Or rabbit? I try to purchase it from amazon but they dont ship to Indonesia

I currently gave them baby food a little (about 3/4 tablespoon for both rats) and fresh veggies and fruit. But I think the food not require chewing a lot. I give them dog food just a bit for them to chew on.

Hi!!
Sometimes stores will order in pet food, so if they already carry oxbow for other pets, you could see if the store would be able to also order oxbow for rats

Debbie D, has a homemade diet that some people think is pretty good.
Here is a link to it and Jorats (on this forum) could suggest healthy modifications to it

http://ratfanclub.org/diet.html
http://ratfanclub.org/nutreq.html
Dog food is not healthy for rats because they need very low protein (14% or less) - blocks are usually 14% or higher but rats need a variety of daily vegs, as well as healthy treats such as berries, a slice of banana, cooked grains, organic pumpkin seeds etc

I hope this helps

That mush does not look like it will meet their nutritional needs. Also, despite the claims made on that site, rats need low protein as high protein will damage their organs. I would suggest that you use https://cronometer.com/ and compare the ingredients to the list of nutrients that rats require. Suggest you run the mash by Jorats as she knows a great deal about rat nutrition

Hi!!
Sometimes stores will order in pet food, so if they already carry oxbow for other pets, you could see if the store would be able to also order oxbow for rats

Debbie D, has a homemade diet that some people think is pretty good.
Here is a link to it and Jorats (on this forum) could suggest healthy modifications to it

http://ratfanclub.org/diet.html
http://ratfanclub.org/nutreq.html
Dog food is not healthy for rats because they need very low protein (14% or less) - blocks are usually 14% or higher but rats need a variety of daily vegs, as well as healthy treats such as berries, a slice of banana, cooked grains, organic pumpkin seeds etc

I hope this helps
So here I can get these in my country according to Debbie D recipe
1. Quinoa seed (red and white)
2. Chia seed
3. Rolled oat meal
4. Dried cranberry (not in the recipe)
5. Pumpkin seed
6. Brown flaxseed
7 barley
8. Molasse (or maybe I can substitute it with baby food?)
9 cereal
10 calcium
11 tofu
12 rice
Can i mix altogether to make their daily food?

Or maybe i dont use molasse and cook the oats blend with another seeds and grain?

Last edited:
Any diet that recommends a protein level higher than 16% is bad! It has been proven by studies that rats require very low protein and fat once weaned from mom so at 5 weeks old, rats require very low protein for optimum health. Please be careful feeding any kind of human mix when the protein is high.

Any diet that recommends a protein level higher than 16% is bad! It has been proven by studies that rats require very low protein and fat once weaned from mom so at 5 weeks old, rats require very low protein for optimum health. Please be careful feeding any kind of human mix when the protein is high.

Hi jorats :)
Yeah till now I’ve been careful about the protein content. But the baby food contain sugar and coloring thats why I want to change it now. From the list here:
1. Quinoa seed (red and white)
2. Chia seed
3. Rolled oat meal
4. Dried cranberry, blueberry, raisin (no added sugar)
5. Pumpkin seed
6. Brown flaxseed
7 barley
Can I make their main dishes? For example on day 1, I give them cooked oatmeal mixed with pumpkin seed, sunflower seed, and a bit of flaxseed and then for day two I give them cooked oatmeal with a bit of chia and quinoa seed (does quinoa need to be cooked?) or should I mixed alltogether with cooked oat meal as main and small amount of other grain?

Last edited:
Yes, I would cook the quinoa for sure and don't forget to add vegetables. Those are really important, full of flavonoids. Kale contain the very important vitamin K and calcium too. I would do spinach, collards, kale as well as carrots and peppers.

Yes, I would cook the quinoa for sure and don't forget to add vegetables. Those are really important, full of flavonoids. Kale contain the very important vitamin K and calcium too. I would do spinach, collards, kale as well as carrots and peppers.
Sure I will add veggies too for them:D I’ve also try many kinds of fruit, like snake fruit, rambutan, lychee, mangosteen, starfruit, duku? (I dont know the english) and durian lol. I found they really like snake fruit and rambutan. I usually give them as a treat
I’m gonna change their food starting tomorrow to grain mix.
Thanks for the help :)

Back