No Companion for Senior Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trosit

Hello,

I took in a new rat a couple of months ago, Maida - her sister had past away and her owner didn't want her to be lonely. She is almost 3 years old. It was fine at first. My boy rat, Gaston, loved her to bits and they spent many cuddly nights together. However she already had a bum hind leg and now she's developed a tumor on her other hind leg and can no longer climb to nest with him. And Gaston won't stay on the ground level :( He's only 1.5 years old.

She can't clean her back end by herself anymore. She ignores the stuffies I try to substitute in Gaston's place. Is there any way I can get her to buddy with him again without eliminating the hammocks he loves so much? Or how much time would I need to spend with her daily for her to feel happy? Should I try giving her baths? Thank you for your suggestions.

Thank you! He's not as high (barely off the ground so maybe she can get on) but I think this is a good compromise. At the very least she can see him, but this morning he was on the ground floor waiting for his treats. I do hope this works and he eventually starts helping to clean her again.

You can also hang hammocks so they are on the floor and maybe he will join her

In one of the pictures below is 3 year old Rhys who can no longer use his back legs but still get around (cage is only partly set up in the pic, and his friends choose to use the low hammocks)
The second picture shows Mifi (who had hed) in a hammock and her friends often choose to join her although they have many high hammocks in the cage
IMG_1002.JPG
December 2016 Wendys Myfi enjoying her Christmas house hammock .jpg

I didn't get emailed about this post either! D: Those are great photos! So I was able to put the hammocks low enough and on a slant that Maida could crawl on :) Unfortunately she only got occassional love from Gaston. I took to wiping her down myself and she got all my attention for the next 2 weeks until she passed. I could tell it would happen and put her on my bed with my hand beside her. I woke up to her cooling body when I found she had crawled to my chest. She went in her sleep in the best way.

Gaston is bothering my other ladies again in the main cage and all are getting big area play time now that I can keep watch on everyone again. Thanks for the help!

She had a good long life, the best of care, and the most loving gentle passing possible, I'm happy for you both that you were able to be with her in the end... My condolences to you and Gaston.

Back