Nicole

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was gently putting ointment onto Nicole's ears a short while ago, Nicole gave a yelp and half her right ear came off :(
Glad we are leaving for a vet apt. in a few minutes because its sort of hanging there ... no way do I want to try to seperate it from the rest of her ear ... I'd probably hurt her even worse.

Back from the vet.
He snipped off the part that was detached ... :thumbup:
If you look at the previous pics, you can see that most of her right ear was so badly damanged that it was expected that it would fall off ... so now there is only a tiny piece of damaged tissue left to fall off of that ear. The vet said that I no longer need to put ointment on Nicole's ears. I can also decrease applying ointment to her back and neck from three times to once a day.

Everything is healing well. :thumbup:
The vet patiently answered all my questions and I now have a better understanding of why it is likely that this was caused by an allergic reaction causing a vascular problem in Nicole's ear (not unusual) and her neck and back (highly unusual).

I'm glad I was right with the allergic reaction! Haha. And I'm so SO glad it's not something more serious. Sending lots of healing vibes to Nicole! Give her a kiss for me.

She is continuing to heal well, and she is active. The other rats don't bother her sore bits, so the three young girls will be able to go back in the cage with the big gang.

Nicole is such a sweetie. I am so relieved that she is on the mend. ( and SQ's blood pressure is finally returning to normal.)

I don't know ... She has little energy, isn't willing to eat food, baby cereal off a finger etc.
Edit: Nicole hasn't been interested in peas and corn either ... a definate favorite so very worrisome.

I suspect Nicole is dehydrated and we are going to the vet in a couple of hours.
I could rehydrate her sub-Q but given her physical condition I prefer the vet do it.

No signs of infection .... lying around with little response could indicate pain.
She doesn't show a great deal of reaction when I apply the ointment, not like before.
Nicole seems to be tired and to have given up.

The vet doesn't think Nicole is very dehydrated, I'm to try to get her to take fluids etc by mouth.
Her temp is normal and no sign of infection ... so perhaps it is pain.
Another vet apt tomorrow.

Back