Nicole

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Godmother and I went to the vet.
A swab was taken of the damaged tissue and no bacteria were found.
Vet thinks that the cause is vascular, possibly caused by an alleric reaction, but no reasoning offered other than this isn't unusual for tips of ears, toes and the tip of the tail. I don't understand how that necessarily applies to the back where most of Nicole's damaged skin is. It doesn't make sense.

The wonderful news is that Nicole hasn't gotten any worse and her condition seems to have stabilized :joy:

SQ said:
Godmother and I went to the vet.
A swab was taken of the damaged tissue and no bacteria were found.
All vets agree that the cause is vascular, possibly caused by an alleric reaction.

The wonderful news is that Nicole hasn't gotten any worse and her condition seems to have stabilized :joy:

Oh thank god!!!! Is she on an anti-histamine just in case?

I was terrified Dahlas! I have had almost no sleep since Saturday. Until yesterday evening, everytime I checked Nicole her condition was worse. Fortunately the vet on call was very helpful.
Godmother is holding up well, she didn't have internet access for a few days so I imagine it was a horrible shock when she became aware of Nicole's condition.

Nicole is continuing on baytril & medicam, with the site being cleaned daily and a new ointment being applied every eight hours.
An anti-histamine wasn't mentioned, but her breathing has been fine.

Edit: anti-histamine - I learned something new

I could kick myself for not asking about an antihistamine. Metacam may do similar things, but an antihistamine would help with the itchiness.
If she seems itchy then we can phone to ask.

The vet we saw this morning (the owner of the clinic where our usual vet practices) was great at explaining what was going on and the possible causes. One new thing I learned is that a rat's ears are particularly vulnerable to vascular problems because the ears have no nearby blood vessels that can take over if the main blood supply is affected.

He had a suggestion for making sure that Nicole is less itchy after her daily application of cleaning lotion.

(My brain is still in a fog; after travelling over seven time zones over a 24-hour period, and then having only 4 1/2 hours sleep, I am not in good shape)

So our sweet little Nicole looks terrible, but her condition has stabilized and she is fairly active. Her buddies were there to comfort her.

She is young and we know how fast our ratties heal and how much they forget...unfortunately both you and Holly will hold this in your heart for a lot longer. :(

What a terribly scary situation, I too wouldn't have slept... :sad3:

Nicole is on a large dose of metacam twice daily to control the tremendous pain she is in.
I can see if the vet will prescribe different pain meds.
On the weekend the vet didn't want to go with a diff pain med and pred because of the danger of infection.
Perhaps that has changed.

Pictures from this afternoon:

May26Nicolesback.jpg

May26Nicolesbackandears.jpg

Back