Nicole

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Little Nicole (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18156) was spayed today. She is doing fine and is very happy to be back from the vet.
Here is a picture of Nicole dangling to show off her incision.

May19Nicolespayed.jpg

Molly and Rilla go in to be spayed tomorrow.

I took Molly (viewtopic.php?f=56&t=18681) and Rilla (viewtopic.php?f=56&t=18359) in to be spayed this morning.
After I returned home, I discovered that Nicole had removed one of her two stitches. I phoned the vet and when putting Nicole into the carrier to return to the vets office, I discovered that Nicole had removed her other stitch. Nicole joined her two friends at the vets.
I just received a phone call. All 3 are doing well and they would like me to come and get them so that I can keep a close eye on them ... it seems that they are all bothering their stitches. I asked about glue, etc.
Leaving soon to go pick up the three little monkeys.

I'm back with the girls. All were given an injection of metacam.
All are bright eyed and alert.
Rilla, who normally isn't still unless asleep is very quiet and at times her sides seem sucked in ... no owie streches but I'm keeping a close eye on her. Rilla was the rattie girl who kept bothering her incision today at the vets.
Both Molly and Nicole ate a bit of baby cereal for me. Rilla wasn't interested ... she really isn't feeling that great.

Edit: Rilla seems to be feeling a bit better and is cuddled up with Molly.

May20squirmingRillaspayed1.jpg

Squirming Rilla

May20squirmingRillaspayed2.jpg

Molly

May20squirmingRillaspayed3.jpg

In the carrier : Rilla, Molly and an active little Nicole

Poor sweet babies! Glad they got the extra metacam; that might keep them from worrying their incisions.

:heart: Wish I could be there to give them a pat and a finger of baby cereal.

Update: Rilla was doing owie streches and bothering her incision so I phoned the vet.
As per instructions, Rilla has been given a large dose of oral metacam. (and syringe fed baby cereal of course as you can't takem metacam on an empty stomach).
Hopefully Rilla will soon be feeling much better.

Emergency vet appointment this afternoon after Nicole pulled out her stitches again.
She was given internal stitches, the edges of her incision were trimmed as they had dried out, and a bit of glue was applied externally to keep it closed.
She is fine now ... active, eating, happy to be back in her cage.

When Nicole and her cage mates came out to play this evening I discovered that Nicole's ear are bright red and hard, they feel like something has dried on them. The edges of her ears look damanged.
She was fine when we returned from the vet and she has never had any problem with her ears before.
Ideas???

May22Nicloelsear.jpg

May22Nicolesear2.jpg

Phoned the vet on call but she doesn't know what it could be unless it was increased blood flow or fever.

It doesn't look like that to me.

Her ears are looking worse. One of them is turning black .... Emergency vet time again?

Saw the emergency vet on call at 8 am this morning. Nicole's right ear is black and cherry red, it is crumpled up and hard.
I was told it looks like a vascular problem in her ears, particularly the right ear.
I was told that this type of circulation problem can happen for no reason (to tips of ears, toes and tip of the tail) ..... and we can't figure out a reason ... Nicole doesn't seem ill as she is active, running around playing, eating well, and not bothering her ear at all.
There is nothing that can be done. Nicole is on metacam and an antibiotic and has been since Wednesday.
The vet doesn't think it will get any worse.
I think it looks like Nicole is going to lose the tip of her left ear and quite a bit of her right ear.
The vet said the tip of Nicole's right ear will likely fall off.

Back