Niagara Nakie Newbies... 3/17/13 Norbert :/

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Norbert's (and my) day started off rather on a rough note this morning. I had moved Alia and her girls into an FN bottom, and everything seemed fine. Last night, one of the not-so-nice young girls got out...I assume Norby bounced up to them to say Hey there!! And got beat down badly :sad3:

Not a mark on the girl, but poor Norbert...he was so stressed when I tried to examine him he bit my thumb. :undecided:

First thing this morning

nov10Norbertsside.jpg

Look how close that scratch came to his eye? *shudder*

nov10Norbertsface.jpg

he had never been hurt before and even though it was mostly moderate wounds and scratches, it shocked him. So I gave him metacam for the sting and let him rest. Tonight I did a bunch of moving around, I scrubbed down the R-690 (in preparation for Miniel to arrive, I hear she's very gentle, not rough and tumble at all) and put Norbert in. Oh wow, he was thrilled. :mrgreen:

Over there?

nov10Norbert3.jpg

Over here? Time to groom (you can see his bad eye, which he must be blind out of)

nov10Norbert4.jpg

Ohh happy days Mom!!

NOv10Norbert2.jpg

I Just love this boy!! :heart: :heart:

God I love batteries!!

Well Sage and Yara are hammock destroyah's, and these are the special ones (broadcloth fabric sent by Melissa to Cozy Corner, where they are lovingly made into Niagara Nakie hammocks). It was becoming a real problem...hammocks got destroyed super fast. The boys are awesome and barely nibble theirs...so I wanted them to be warm and cozy. even though they have a sputnik...Sage is a BIG girl...not fat, just long and big-boned. Her squishing into the sputnik with Yara ended up with scratches...so I moved a Circus into their cage and shoved the dead and dying hammocks in it for comfort...looks like I made the right call. :giggle:

nov11SageandYarainthecircus.jpg

This morning I noticed Melvin's eye didn't look right, so I took a bit of a look...Ugh, debris in his eyes, which meant a vet visit on Monday. :undecided:

I put some ointment in his eye to see if it helped him feel better and saw that it was moving around...I managed amid much struggling to work the bit out and get my fingers on it! There was another piece I also wheedled out...so not vet visit, YAY for both of us :D

I got some horrible pics but it gives you an idea of what it looks like.

nov17Melvinseye.jpg

nov17Melvinseye2.jpg

and the gunk. Looks small in my palm but imagine it in a little ol' eye?

nov17Melvinseyegunk.jpg

lilspaz68 said:
Petunia said:
oh poor Norby, but OH! you are his hero, getting that stuff out of his eye!!

and you're our hero too of course :giggle:

Hahaha I don't think Melvin was that impressed but his eye looks so much better now :joy:

:oops: :oops: :oops:
ok just got up, haven't have my first cuppa yet

sorry Melvin!!

I know this hasn't been posted on for a while. But one of my hairless girls gets exactly the same thing in her eyes very occasionally, and I've always just gently pulled them out myself. Do you find they benefit much from eye drops? My girl is fine for ages and every now and again she just has uncomfortable looking eyes that I un-gunk and she'll scamper off to wash my human finger germs off her face.

You've done so well with these! So committed, they must adore you.

As of today, all the Niagara Nakies have URI's...Yara presents in a rather extreme fashion. I saw her eye and pulled her out expecting her eye to be ruptured *whew*

dec16Yaraseye.jpg

Waldo and Melvin were reluctant to come out of their nice warm hammock

dec16MelvinandWaldo.jpg

But Melvin my sweet boy comes to see me with Waldo grudgingly following

dec16MelvinandWaldo2.jpg

But not for long, Waldo heads back to bed. LOL

dec16MelvinandWaldo3.jpg

Well the hits keep coming for my poor Niagara Nakies...they have been here just over a year now, and at this point all 4 have a URI, but Melvin and Waldo are almost completely better. No more sounds in their lungs *whew*

Yara is being persnickety in her recovery...and Norby isn't too bad but isn't responding to abs very well.

Norby has the lovely pustules over his eye again...sigh.

And here's the rotten news. Before I went away for Christmas I noticed that smaller gentle Melvin had what felt like a lump in his throat. My heart sank. It felt a lot like what I originally found on my poor Flower. :undecided: I was hoping it might be an oops on my part or a swollen gland or lymph node. I came back yesterday and its a bit bigger...I can now feel it better. Its attached right under his throat and feels fleshy and unattached where it hangs down towards his chest. :sad3: Poor lad will only be 16 months in a few days. I'll wait til its easier to find/feel and take him in to Dr. Munn to see what he thinks. My poor sweet lad. I really could KILL the asshole breeder who produced these rats!!!!

And the breeder keeps churning them out.

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-pets-ot ... Z440968902

dec26Waldo-1.jpg

dec26WaldoandMelvin-1.jpg

He so doesn't deserve this, he's the sweetest of all the NN's.

dec27Melvin2.jpg

dec27Melvin.jpg

Back