USA New Virginian Rat Momma Looking to Adopt!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

The_Hoard

Hi there I will be moving to the state of Virginia to attend college and was wondering if there are any rat adoption centers or official breeders in the area. I will not be dealing with anyone who is unsafely breeding their rats. I will have two large cages in my new house, both of them will be C&C Cages lined with hardware cloth to prevent any sneaky escapes. The two rats that I will be taking with me, Nico and Stewart, have an amazing and heartwarming story which I will be sharing soon, as well as individual biographies, just in case your interested in getting to know who your baby will be living with in the future.

I will admit I am a new rat momma, I started adopting rats a few months ago, but I have done an insane amount of research to help me care for them the best way possible. I do have two cats, Merry and Pippin, who I would introduce, but that would take to long and they are not rat related, but if you are curious in getting to know the two rascals I can put it in this threat later. Merry is a hunter, he goes outside and comes back with..."gifts"...but that being said, he has never, EVER even attempted to hunt my babies. He honestly doesn't show any interest to them which I find hilarious. Pippin, on the other hand, THINKS he is a hunter. He is a big fat lazy blob and I have seen him try to hunt. He was laying on my porch, a lizard ran over his paw and he just rolled over, reached out to it....and gave up. He has shown interest in my rats and (do not be mad at me) I allowed him to get close to them on the RATS TERMS. Meaning I put the rat in a room it had never been in before so he couldn't really say "Why is this thing in my spot", let Pippin in while on a leash, and sure enough, Nico came right up to him, got on his hind legs to sniff at Pippin...aaaand Pippin turned tail and ran away. He is too scared of the rats to actually try to hurt them, he just likes to look at them, and Nicodemus and Stewart are very accepting of him. I know it sounds awful "How can you let a CAT near your RAT!!!" Well now, the rats actually think of Pippin as a plaything. They LOVE to jump down onto my bed and chase him off. It's almost like they've made a game out of his presence, and I know they are not terrified because, if you've played the game with your rats where you chase them with your hand (PLAYFULLY!!!) and they start flipping out like running around and jumping and stuff...like they are having a sugar high...but then they come right back for more? That is what they do with Pippin. Its freaking adorable.

SORRY THIS WENT OFF TOPIC

Moral of the story is, I can safely say that my cats WILL NOT try to eat my or your babies!

I really hope there is some people with rats up for adoption in the Richmond-Fairfax area of Virginia. I have found rats to be almost therapeutic as a pet. They way petting a cat, statistically speaking, reduces anxiety and depression in us, I get the same effect when snuggling or even watching my little nuggets do their thing. I really do hope to expand my family when I move to Virginia, I think/hope it will make the stressful process of moving away from all of my friends and my boyfriend (poppa to the rats) a little bit easier. I will be finding a vet that accept ratty patients and will be totslly open to give updates on the newly adopted if needed/requested!
Thanks for reading this long post!

Stay Ratty:p

Back