New Veteran

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limpwristed

Hi! My name is Erik, and I'm a proud rat dad from Independence, Missouri (sidenote: I'm looking to connect with ratty people in my city and state). I'm new to getting back into this forum and back into loving rats, but I've raised 40+ at this point, and helped raise many many more. Rats have inspired me to get into working with shelters, and that's my 2 year career plan at this point.

A couple things about me: I'm transgender, I'm a huge book nerd, and I've loved animals since I was a kid. I enjoy coming home from work to play with my boys and girls and curl up with a good book. My favorite genres are vampires, fantasy, and political non-fiction.

A couple things about my rats: My boys were purchased October 2nd, 2019 and I believe they were six weeks old at the time. Since then they've shot up like little arrows. They're so long and thick now. ^_^ Their names are Saffron and Florian; my little fancy boys. Saffron is all white and Florian is a black hooded. I know they're common, but I've always been a fan of the common coats. At one point in time I owned 7 white rats and 3 hooded at the same time.

My girls are a different situation. Selma is a year old and she was purchased with her recently deceased sister Griselda (one of my best girls, to note) as a present to myself for being a good rat dad. ^_^ My other two girls are Ambrosia and Mirabelle, purchased very recently. So recently in fact, they're still skittish and won't venture from my hoodie at all during playtime. I got lucky, though, they're definitely not scared of me. :)

Well, this has been about me and my rats, so when I'm at home and not at my work computer I'll upload some photos of them in the comments. Thanks for reading, and I hope to get to know everyone here!

Welcome to the forum! Cute rat names! Can't wait to see pics of them! It's great to have someone else on here who also has a lot of experience with owning many rats! I have 3 females, all 3 hooded. One is a blue gray (her name is Eva, and was rescued), the other two are both beige hooded ( Macaroni, and her daughter créme), and 3 black hooded boys (brother and taco, both brothers and Mackie's sons, and skittle, a rescue). All of them are SUPER spoiled and awesome little rats.

IMG_20191107_184706.jpg IMG_20191105_165443.jpgIMG_20191107_184706.jpg IMG_20191105_165443.jpg IMG_20191104_190230.jpg

This is just a couple pictures at the moment

Super cute babies! I miss the cute short baby legs! My youngest (now a year old) has just outgrown his baby body and fur. Makes me super sad!

For some reason, I could not get a picture of little Mirabelle or Selma to load from my phone. Selma is a black hooded and Mirabelle is a double rex. They're all about to be joined by two new rats in December; Jingle and Santa! Tis the season for cute holiday-themed names. I've already got the girls picked out, and everything. They're going to be a Christmas present to myself and the rats. Also, your rat names are equally adorable. I really love Macaroni for a rat name. :)

SWEET! I couldn't think of a better Christmas gift! Every time I see baby rats, or a rat in need, I beg my husband for it, but he says no. I have six as it is, and a disabled 7year old bunny who I have to literally do EVERYTHING for, including syringe water, and prop up with blankets (she's at the end of her life, and has seizures pretty often, so a lot of work, and we're contemplating PTS) so it's a lot. But I really want to adopt a couple, or three. I just would have to get another critter nation, so they have plenty of room until they're introduced. But it doesn't stop me from begging anyway. :p

Back