New rats help

• Thread starter Animalcrazy1980
  • Start date
The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Animalcrazy1980

I have just taken on 2 male rats, they are a few months old and lovely boys however when I got them they had been living in a hamster cage, we have a cage that is 3 levels and we have it packed out with ropes and hammocks and climbing things, we read it better to take the ramps off so we did, however these rats don’t seem to know what to do.

Last night they stayed in the bottom part all night, this evening we have put them up the top but whilst they have taken an interest in the gap and the rope to get down neither are braving it.

Now my question is should I just leave them to work it all out or tomorrow am I best of taking all the toys out and putting the ramps back and only having a couple things? Even the low stuff they don’t seem dare climb.

I would attach pics of the cage and how I have it but I’m not sure how to do it. If anyone can tell me how I’ll put pics up.

Another question I have is food, I have food from rat rations, the number 11 mix, I also have the powder they recommend to use twice a week however would it be safe to also use nuggets like science selective to ensure they’ve got all the vitamins too?

I know I should give them a wide variety of other foods too but I don’t want to miss anything important in their diet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the form ! :)
Congrats on your baby boys!!

this may help re posting pictures https://www.ratshackforum.com/threa...file-changing-the-title-of-your-thread.37049/

I am not sure what the problem is with ramps ……. people use ramps in cages - if there is a problem with bar spacing you can put the ramp inside a sock to make a ramp cover - or purchase ramp covers

There is good information in our Reference Thread https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Mixes are not good for rats because the rats only eat the things they like, and mixes often contain ingredients rats should not have. - that mix looks really good, the site I found did not give info on the protein level - rats need low protein such as 14%. Science select is also supposed to be a good block for rats. Please see the information on diet in the Reference section.

btw, you might want to add what country you are in to your profile

Back