New Rats help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kim

hey so I’ve only had my rats for 4 days and trying to learn as much as I can about them.
One of my rats keeps hiding away and doesn’t really like coming out unless I have a grape. He bit my partner on the first day. I assume he’s just shy. Is there anything I can do to help him and calm him down or make him more friendly.
The other seems a lot more willing to get to know you but everytime i try to pet him he bops his head and sniffs my hand as if telling me to stop? He also keeps sneezing loads when he’s been running around or exploring and biting his back.
Last thing promise lol. Both of them also seem to fight a lot, there’s no squeaking or anything. What are they doing?

How old are they?
What sex are they?

Playing can look like fighting so can you describe what you mean.

Biting his own back?

video? (post to youtube and then put the link on here)

Not sure about age I bought them from the pet store 4 days ago.
Both male
Can’t really describe the fighting lol it just looks like they are fighting
Yes biting as if he’s itchy?

He is a cutie!!!!!! He looks to be about 2 to 4 months old. If you are not hearing squeaking, shrieking and gashes with blood, they are probably playing. Rats play hard! He doesn't look overly itchy to me. They groom a lot. But one thing you can do is look for scabs on their shoulders and romps. If there are scabs, then it's most likely mites. An easy treatment of Revolution will get them all cleared away. When the one guy bit your partner did he bleed? A real rat bite hurts incredibly and you bleed a lot! If it was just a nip, then it's probably out of concern and testing, they usually outgrow that once they feel comfortable and secure in their new home.

Yea my partner did bleed but norvell has never bit me hard it’s more like just resting his teeth on me that or he never comes out of hiding.

What about Arthur’s sneezing?

Is there anything I can do to make them both warm up to me?

Your babies look so cute! I just brought home a rat named Arthur too!

I've noticed that rats sneeze when brought home. I think it has to do with change in quality of care and even air quality. Rats have sensitive lungs, so I'm sure a change in air quality and less ammonia can affect them. I've brought babies home, they sneeze for a little bit, and then they're done. I'm sure stress (such as getting a new home) also makes them more prone to sneezing as well.
Rats, especially males, like to establish a hierarchy. Even in babies, you see them playing and building a hierarchy. If no blood, scabs, or other injuries are noticeable, they're just playing or figuring out where they fit on social rankings. Some rats are vocal and will just protest at about anything, as well.
From the sounds of it, the bite your partner received was purely defensive. Getting a new home is very scary to rats, so just give them time and LOTS of treats. I used to have a defensive rat; now he puddles out and takes naps on me. The way to his heart was Puffs and a lot of reassurance. I didn't encroach on his space, I would let him come to me.
Baby rats use their mouths to explore the world. I've had my newest for about three weeks and they still "test bite" my fingers and nails. They'll eventually learn what is finger and what is food. My adults still sometimes do this, but that's because my hand smells like food.
Some rats will just be hiders too. They'll come out on their own accord. No fast movements or loud sounds. Talk quietly and move slowly.

Also, rats watch how you treat others of their own kind. If they see you not harming another rat, they'll be more likely to trust you. This can cause previously timid rats to become more extroverted over a period of time. Extroverted rats can also influence more introverted rats to become more adventurous.

Good luck, I hope this helps. Keep an eye on that sneezing.

new rats have sneezes when adapting to a new environment but if it lasts much longer or becomes worse they may be ill and will need to see a vet

Make sure there are no environmental causes such as dusty bedding, scents in the environment, etc

new rats have sneezes when adapting to a new environment but if it lasts much longer or becomes worse they may be ill and will need to see a vet

Make sure there are no environmental causes such as dusty bedding, scents in the environment, etc

Sorry to hijack this post, but it might be kind of related. Can rex rat's curly whiskers tickle their noses at times? I always seem to have rats that have short, extra curly whiskers. Mine are sneeze-free thankfully, and I wanted to know if rex rats are more prone to sneezing thanks to curly whiskers.

hey so I’ve only had my rats for 4 days and trying to learn as much as I can about them.
One of my rats keeps hiding away and doesn’t really like coming out unless I have a grape. He bit my partner on the first day. I assume he’s just shy. Is there anything I can do to help him and calm him down or make him more friendly.
The other seems a lot more willing to get to know you but everytime i try to pet him he bops his head and sniffs my hand as if telling me to stop? He also keeps sneezing loads when he’s been running around or exploring and biting his back.
Last thing promise lol. Both of them also seem to fight a lot, there’s no squeaking or anything. What are they doing?
If you've only had the rats for a few days, it's not unusual if they don't come to you at first. It takes some time to get them to trust you completely. Also, if your rats are sneezing it could just be from their new environment.

Back