New rat quarantine help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zJoker

Hello, recently adopted a new rat from a lady who had an accidental litter (am aware of the risks and would rather he not become snake food…), met the mom, dad and all the little ones and they all looked healthy. Took 1 boy since I already had 2 at home.

Am now realising I might have messed up the quarantine … the 2 residents are in the living room and I left the new boy at the other end of the living room (about 2/3 metres away). He was only there for 30 mins before I moved him to a different room after but I read that they shouldn’t even be in the same air space at all so am not sure if I should continue with quarantine. The new one is 7 weeks old and the 2 residents are 13 weeks old so if I already broke quarantine I’d rather start introducing asap while they’re all still young.

Sorry for the long wall of text, looking for some advice 😭

Oopsie! In my opinion, I would continue the quarantine as normal and just keep a close eye on your 13-week-old boys to ensure they didn't catch anything or get mites or something like that. There is a chance that in that 30 minutes they did not contract anything, even if the 7-week-old is sick/carrying something, so I would advise continuing quarantine.

Back