New Rat Owners

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myki1989

Hi me and partner have recently got two beautiful girl rats called Coffee and Moon, they are friendly and and curious, they come out of there cage maybe 3 or 4 times a day for 10-15 mins a time or before they get to excited and to fast, my question is how long should we wait before we let them free roam? They are both a month and half old and we have had them for one week, is it too soon to let them free roam? Or are rushing into things?

Hi me and partner have recently got two beautiful girl rats called Coffee and Moon, they are friendly and and curious, they come out of there cage maybe 3 or 4 times a day for 10-15 mins a time or before they get to excited and to fast, my question is how long should we wait before we let them free roam? They are both a month and half old and we have had them for one week, is it too soon to let them free roam? Or are rushing into things?
They are beautiful! Theres a rule I’ve learned about rats and that is that the first 6 months of their lives they are incredibly curious and after that they become more cautious. now is the time to create good and safe patterns. Let them get very attached to you. Let them learn that you are safety and that you are always a constant trusted thing. introduce them to areas that are safe zones. That they can explore safely with supervision. I placed a ton of fun things on top of their cage and when I opened the doors they’d climb out to explore and play. I then built shelves above their cage that they could easily get on to and put more fun things (boxes, fleece blankets, a doll house, etc). After 6 months, we’d back off and let them play while we did things in the same room. Now almost 2 years later they are “free range rats”. The doors are always open and they live in the cage, or on the shelves above. Oh, shelves are closed on the sides.
enjoy getting to know them. Love them. The rewards of Making them happy is amazing.

They are beautiful! Theres a rule I’ve learned about rats and that is that the first 6 months of their lives they are incredibly curious and after that they become more cautious. now is the time to create good and safe patterns. Let them get very attached to you. Let them learn that you are safety and that you are always a constant trusted thing. introduce them to areas that are safe zones. That they can explore safely with supervision. I placed a ton of fun things on top of their cage and when I opened the doors they’d climb out to explore and play. I then built shelves above their cage that they could easily get on to and put more fun things (boxes, fleece blankets, a doll house, etc). After 6 months, we’d back off and let them play while we did things in the same room. Now almost 2 years later they are “free range rats”. The doors are always open and they live in the cage, or on the shelves above. Oh, shelves are closed on the sides.
enjoy getting to know them. Love them. The rewards of Making them happy is amazing.
Thank you so much, I definitely try putting fun things on the top of the cage and I like the idea of a shelves

IMG-20220611-WA0010.jpg

We really have bonded very nicely, we've only had them for 2 and a half weeks so still lots to learn about eachother but we loving every second of it

We really have bonded very nicely, we've only had them for 2 and a half weeks so still lots to learn about eachother but we loving every second of it
That's fantastic. Are they your first ever pet rats?

Yes but hopefully around the same age as the two we have and hopefully they can all be together after getting to know eachother first

Yes but hopefully around the same age as the two we have and hopefully they can all be together after getting to know eachother first
Right, to live harmoniously.😀 And maybe some protocols before you can put them together?

I’m new here but a longtime rat owner. For the first time I have 3 rats from a humane breeder. I used to go to the pet store and rescue feeder rats from doom but now California doesn’t allow rat sales. I’m so so happy with my 3 dumbo rats, Timber, Oatmeal and Snooky. The rats I’ve had in the past have been lovely but it was 15-20 years ago and I didn’t have access to the rat education out there now. I kept all my rats as solo pets which I am so sorry for now that I have 3 and see how much they love and need each other, and how having them together increases their playful personality and makes them confident and very social. My heart aches for all the rats I kept alone.

Attachments

• 93FD69C0-E2AB-4CB1-8782-AFF18B202C71.png
    93FD69C0-E2AB-4CB1-8782-AFF18B202C71.png
    392.9 KB · Views: 19
Back