New Rat Owner

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mushuporker72

Hi there! My name is Jessie, I'm 24 and I'm going to pick up my first rats in a couple of weeks. I'm getting three brothers from a breeder I've heard great things about. They came with the names Lotus, Poppy, and Fig but I kind of hate those names. I'm going to change them, but I don't have any ideas yet.

FB_IMG_1590372722208.jpg
FB_IMG_1590372719897.jpg
FB_IMG_1590372716871.jpg

I've done a ton of research, but I know the internet can be misleading so I hope I got it right. I got a DCN but I'm going to leave to top section off until they're older. I don't think three young boys need all that space and someone told me it can add to stress when they're little? I've got kaytee paper bedding for now, but if it seems to bother them I'll switch to kiln dried Aspen. I'm avoiding it to start because wood shavings bug my allergies. The list of things I'm ordering is a 20lb bag of oxbox regal rat, kaytee bedding unscented white, 2 glass water bottles, two plastic huts, a treat wheel, a puzzle feeder, 4 different hammocks, lava ledges, and a litter pan, kaykob litter, a huge wheel that I know they won't actually use, some plastic baskets, zip ties, shower curtain rings to help hang the hammocks, and a variety of hanging toys and foraging toys. I'm not sure what to get for treats or if anyone has recipes for homemade treats that might be healthier than packaged treats. I also made a ton of different fleece pads for the levels and ramps.

What do you guys think? Did I forget anything?

I don't think that having the entire DCN accessible will be stressful for your babies. If anything, they'll love it. To line the pans and levels in the cage use fleece so it won't go everywhere. Latte, Shadow, and Charley might be good names, but I could think of a few more.

Sounds like you've got everything under control 👍 although personally I like using Yesterday's News as bedding but you'll find what works as you go. I would love to see updates as they age!
I have a whole list of names (trying to think of male, orangey names):
West
Seasalt
Mango
Cyclone
Copper
Cola
Bolt
Jasper

I don't think that having the entire DCN accessible will be stressful for your babies. If anything, they'll love it. To line the pans and levels in the cage use fleece so it won't go everywhere. Latte, Shadow, and Charley might be good names, but I could think of a few more.
I'll try it then. It'd be a shame to have all that space and not use it lol. I think I mentioned that I've been working on sewing fleece/cotton liner pads for the levels, but I heard that fleece is really bad at soaking up/covering the smell of urine so I got scatter guards for the bedding. Plus it looks like they'd enjoy it more.

Sounds like you've got everything under control 👍 although personally I like using Yesterday's News as bedding but you'll find what works as you go. I would love to see updates as they age!
I have a whole list of names (trying to think of male, orangey names):
West
Seasalt
Mango
Cyclone
Copper
Cola
Bolt
Jasper
I've seen yesterday's news, but personally I feel like it looks really uncomfortable lol. I'll definitely post more pictures! I like the name Jasper, maybe I'll do a gemstone/crystal theme.

To line the pans for the bottom and the levels in the cage I would use fleece. Yesterday's News or Fresh News go in the litter box. I do that for my girls. They don't mind sitting in it, and sometimes they will even sleep in it 😂

I got some updated pictures of the babies. Thinking about going with names from Mythology like Greek/Norse/Celtic Gods. I know I like the names Loki, Eros, and Pan, but I guess it all depends on their personalities.
FB_IMG_1590691511247.jpg
FB_IMG_1590691519608.jpg
FB_IMG_1590691527121 (1).jpg

Back