New rat owner, should I get a third?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wednesday

Hello! First-time rat owner here. I've had cats, dogs, fish, and guinea pigs, but this is my first time with rats. We got 2 boys that were labeled as 6-8 weeks old when we got them. So, now they are approximately 12 weeks old. We got one rex and one hairless (not for their appearance or fur, but just because they were the ones that were calmest when being held).

While I did research rat care before I got them, I did not think to research hairless rats individually and have since learned that they have shorter lifespans. He is not completely hairless. You can see a little bit of fuzz on his cheeks and legs, as well as a very light covering on most of his body (hopefully you can see on the picture).

So, my question is, since he could potentially only live for one year while the other lives twice as long (hopefully longer for both!), should I get another rat now so that they are used to each other? My concerns are:

1. Will the new one get picked on since he will likely be a little younger and smaller?
2. Will the new one pick on the hairless one since he is different?
3. If I leave the population at our current 2 rats, will it be harder or easier to introduce a new rat to the remaining one after the hairless one crosses the rainbow bridge?

I am so sad to be thinking about all this now. I didn't know there were issues with the hairless ones other than that they were extra adorable and you may faint from extreme cuteness overload. I am using bathmats for cage flooring and changing it out daily. I'm washing the mats with unscented, dye-free detergent so that the poor little guy's skin doesn't get irritated. I have various old hats and things that I put in there for bedding and warmth. I originally had carefresh on the bottom of the cage, but I read that it can dry out their skin, so I haven't used it again.

So, what do you think about a third rat? Does anyone have experience with this issue? Should I do it now while they are young or will that just make things more tense since they are still new to us themselves? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20190408_210649.jpg
    20190408_210649.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 132
Cute little rattie you have there! I am interested in the answers to these questions as well. Although I had many, many rats in my younger years, that was before the internet and access to a wealth of information about proper care and diet. We just adopted two females for my oldest sons birthday and now we are adopting two more for me! Lol. One of the girls we have now is a double Rex who will be occasionally hairless, and one of the soon-to-be-adopted girls will be too. I came across a Rat Guru video on YouTube for introducing new rats that was excellent. I plan to go that route (a few weeks quarantine period and follow her suggestions for slow intro).
As far as you getting a third rat, yes! More rats are always a good thing right?

More rats is always a good thing! And the younger they are, the easier it is to introduce. I always like to keep at least 3 of the same sex.

Hi :) I have two 1.5 year old female rats and have recently bought two 1yr old female rats and would like to introduce them to eachother and get them living together. Any advice please? I have tried swapping things in both their cages, having all of them in a neutral space.

Thanks!

Hi :) I have two 1.5 year old female rats and have recently bought two 1yr old female rats and would like to introduce them to eachother and get them living together. Any advice please? I have tried swapping things in both their cages, having all of them in a neutral space.

Thanks!
Hi! You should create your own fresh topic so that people can see your question and respond to it. I don't think anyone is looking at this thread anymore because it is too old and everyone will assume that replies have already been given. If you ask your question in a new topic, then you should get more replies. :)

Back