New Rat Momma Needs Help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kawaiiratmomma

Hello everyone! I wanted to ask about my two rats Uno and Scabbers. Uno was a feeder rescue and was taken in by me first. The second rat Scabbers I bought from a pet store because I kept reading all over the internet that he needed a friend. Well Uno and Scabbers got along fine for about a week when they started fighting. Uno doesn't fight back he always just takes it. Uno got a back wound and enough was enough so I separated them. Their cage has multiple levels so I blocked off the connection so they each had two areas to play in but could see and smell each other. I think Scabbers is still biting Uno through the cage bars! I tried reintroducing them now about three weeks later and Scabbers took a sizeable hunk out of Uno's back. He's all beat up from this other rat I got him as a friend. I feel super guilty and wanted advice on how to treat Uno's gash and what to do with Scabbers. He loves people, will take treats from you and cuddle but hates other rats. I mean with a vendetta. Both are intact males I have called vet after vet but no one does rats around here. Please help! And Thank you

oh that is too bad, you could've gotten the aggressor neutered :(

How old are your boys?

Is the wound what I call a skin tension slice? The teeth slice through the skin down to the muscle layer, then the skin tension pulls it open wide, but there's usually no or little bleeding and the rat is unconcerned? These heal very fast on their own as the skin tension also pulls it together again to heal.

I want to get the more aggressive one neutered but live in a rural area and every vet I've asked has just sort of looked at me in confusion when I asked. My luck I suppose! They are a few months old I believe. I've included pictures below of them! Also yes that sounds exactly like it. Uno didn't even seem like it bothered him other than a squeak of protest when I picked him up and noticed it. Other than that he was playing on the bed in my room before I even saw it. Thank you for your advice! I feel calmer now! I took the first one in to help him and got thrusted into the rat momma world. I love them though and wouldn't change it for the world! I'm just still learning and these two boys have put me on a crash course!

Attachments

• received_987496988305804.jpeg
    received_987496988305804.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 178
  • received_286724831992748.jpeg
    received_286724831992748.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 174
the first one is younger than the 2nd one. They are pretty young so they might just be scared and reacting defensively rather than aggressively like older males might.

If the wound was a skin tension slice they aren't necessarily a bad wound with intro's. You can probably try them back together again. How are they with you? Can you take a video of them interacting together?

With me Uno is a bit nervous but will eventually calm down and start exploring when I take him out. He is much more reserved and nervous but after a minute or two out he starts to explore and play. Scabbers on the other hand loves people. He will come out and try to get my attention when when I come into the room. He will take treats from you and even grab your finger and try to pull you into the cage with him. Out of the cage he is very bold, running around and trying to play and wrestle with my tea cup poodle who is gentle with him but I keep a very close eye any time they interact. Uno tends to get hurt alot more easily too. Uno is very humble and laid back to where Scabbers likes people more but is bold and fearless. I can get a video of trying to introduce them together again when Uno heals a bit if you think seeing how they behave together will help. I appreciate all of the advice!

When you intro them again, make sure it's in neutral territory. Maybe a bathtub, or a cage neither has been in. How is uno doing?

Back