New rat Mom

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ladyratmom2022

Hello! Thanks for the add! I’m a new rat mom. I have two little girls who are Dumbos. I’ve had one for a week (Blossom is a silver mane) and just got the other (No name yet, but darker coat) yesterday after finding out they need to be kept in pairs. They are already getting along wonderfully (and seem very happy to be together) with only a few minor dominance displays from Blossom. The new little girl doesn’t have a name yet so any suggestions would be great (Left one in the pictures). They are in a glass front and back cage with fleece lining on the bottom, wire sides with multiples levels created and a mesh top that also opens and latches. So there is good ventilation. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• BA514DE1-165D-46AF-87D8-86E15ED7200A.jpeg
    BA514DE1-165D-46AF-87D8-86E15ED7200A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 39ED0AF2-AA5C-4EDC-AC10-71FFB7564CA0.jpeg
    39ED0AF2-AA5C-4EDC-AC10-71FFB7564CA0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Awhh they're super cute ! I don't normally suggest names but for some reason Nightshade popped in my head so I thought I'd share. There is one major thing that's popping out at me and that's the shavings, most shavings are toxic to rodents so I would suggest switching to a paper bedding like carefresh or something similar as soon as possible. If you could share what food they're eating that would be great too!(I'm just trying to ensure that they're taken the best care of so I hope I'm not coming off as rude!) I'm very glad to hear that you got a second and found this place because that means you're doing research! Here we love research LOL

Awhh they're super cute ! I don't normally suggest names but for some reason Nightshade popped in my head so I thought I'd share. There is one major thing that's popping out at me and that's the shavings, most shavings are toxic to rodents so I would suggest switching to a paper bedding like carefresh or something similar as soon as possible. If you could share what food they're eating that would be great too!(I'm just trying to ensure that they're taken the best care of so I hope I'm not coming off as rude!) I'm very glad to hear that you got a second and found this place because that means you're doing research! Here we love research LOL
Thank you! And no I appreciate the tip! I’m still learning and want to do it right. I did remove the wood shavings. It’s hard to see in the picture but that was just their litter box. They kicked it all out and laid in the empty box. Lol. The cage is lined with fleece. The paper bedding smells awful to me and is so dusty so I’ve resorted to using torn paper towels and got a larger potty bin using a small storage container. They seem to mostly potty in there which is great. Thanks for the name suggest. I love it but my husband and I picked Clover this afternoon. So it’s officially Blossom and Clover. I also got them a larger cage today that had more climbing space. Any other suggestions on enrichment ideas or set up? I don’t have room for a massive cage (this was the biggest I have room for) and am only going to have the two rats so I want to make sure they are plenty entertained.

Sorry, way too late, but welcome to the forum. How are Blossom and Clover bonding?

Back