New rat making older rat sick?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Ryan R

So I’ve had Geri for about a year now. She’d previously shared a cage with Ali who passed away some time ago. Recently, i decided to get Geri a new sis! I brought the new rat home, kept their cages next to each other, then allowed them to cohabitate. A couple of days later, i began to notice Geri acting extremely lethargic. She get cold to the touch and seemed to act like she had hiccups. I immediately separated the rats and, after a couple of days, noticed Geri back to her old self. Well a week or so goes by and, with neither rat acting sick and thoroughly enjoying play time, decided to try putting them in the same cage again. Two days later, Geri began acting the same way, so I separated them again. It has been a couple of days since, and I’ve noticed Geri is still acting sick, with the twitching and cold feel and red fluid around her nose. The new rat has never acted sick a day since I’ve had her. Could she be making Geri sick?

I would take Geri to a good rat vet for a check up

When rats become ill, they do not just get better and you need to find out what is happening

If your baby girl was sick, then she would show symptoms and stay sick, infecting Geri. If Geri is getting sick, she wouldn't get better as soon as you removed the baby. How does she act with the younger girl? She may be stressed about the intros.

Back