New rat introductions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello I recently bought two new baby boy rats to hopefully put in with my older rat of things go well I was just wondering when to start the introduction process I don’t want to stress any of them out at the moment there cages are close so they can see and potentially smell each other but will this cause stress to them ? Thanks

I would quarantine your new boys for about a week or so, so that they can adjust to their new surroundings. You should keep them in a different room and start swapping toys with your older rat so that they can get used to each other's scent. After a week is up, put both cages in your main rat room. For about a night, swap the cages they stay in so they can adjust to the different scents further. After quarantine, it's alright if the cages are beside each other but make sure that can't touch each other. Monitor them closely during playtime, as something could happen. For example, my little Lea had a toenail ripped off by one of the older girls while the older girls were playing. Don't have them playing with each other until they get along and know each other well.

Okay thank you that’s really helpful and any playtime with them all will be supervised until I feel they are completely comfortable with each other 😊

Back