New rat introductions with injured eye.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NualaM

Hello! opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have 3, 7-week old rats that I intend to introduce to my lone girl Zaffie. One of the new babies, Faun, has been blind in one eye since birth and has an infection. I am managing it with eyedrops and once I get the go-ahead from a vet the eye will be removed but as of right now her eye is dry, stuck open, and sticks out but doesn't seem to cause her any pain or discomfort. I am unsure of when she will be able to have surgery and how long the recovery will take, her and her siblings safely play and wrestle regularly but I worry that when it comes to introducing everyone her eye could get injured/scratched. Zaffie has been alone for some time now and I worry about her, but I don't want to rush introductions if it would hurt Faun. It has been suggested to me that I separate one of the girls to introduce to Zaffie now, then introduce Faun and her other sister once she has recovered. How do people feel about this approach and would it cause excess stress on the baby I separate and introduce? They have shown no signs of aggression while their cages have been close together, but I want to keep all my girls safe and happy.

Also, anyone whose rats have had eyes removed, please tell me how it went/ what recovery was like, and how your babies faired.

Back