new rat has lice?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renee

I recently got a dumbo rat from a rescue. She is little, under a year old. I noticed white dots at the ends of her fur and something on her ear. I am really irritated because I drove an hour out to pick her up, and paid 3x what I normally would have if I had gotten her from a petco, but I think the poor baby is sick and must have mites or lice or something. Could anyone help me figure this out? She is being quarantined from my other 3 and doesn't seem scared but doesn't like being touched.
48845847546_7bdb6aad64_k.jpg
48846038952_d877e00055_k.jpg
48846039097_831edec370_k.jpg

The best way to determine lice or mites would be tiny scabs on the body, usually around the shoulders and rump. It's also very easily treatable with revolution.

If you are having trouble finding them, you can wet the fur down a little bit, and it should be way easier to see them. Mites and lice are a lot more common than you may think, and not really a big deal. Just treat with Kitten revolution, and treat your other rattos for precaution, and carry on. :)

The best way to determine lice or mites would be tiny scabs on the body, usually around the shoulders and rump. It's also very easily treatable with revolution.
If you are having trouble finding them, you can wet the fur down a little bit, and it should be way easier to see them. Mites and lice are a lot more common than you may think, and not really a big deal. Just treat with Kitten revolution, and treat your other rattos for precaution, and carry on. :)
Thank you both. The lady i got them from put some medication on the back of her neck before i took her home and told me she's good for a month, but i don't know what she put on there.

Back