New Rat Cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

September555

Hello, I got this new rat cage at Petsmart this weekend. I recently got two new baby girls and the cage I had was only big enough for one. So I got this one. I asked around a bit on here but and almost went with a martin but seen this one and liked it. It is a super pet brand, it has 3 levels, came with hammock and extra large wheel and a food dish, I think it was a bit pricey for rat cages, it was 99 bucks, :shock: but they said they are fairly new and I searched around to try and find one cheaper like it and there is not many out there, anyways, here is a pic of it. You may get a peep at my girls checking it out. I have not put them in there yet, I have only had them 7 days, and right now I just set it on my bed and let them look at it and climb in and out at their own will, tonight they both went in there and play a while. I think by the end of this week coming they will be living in it. :D I will post an intro pic of the girls on the meet me thread.

PB110096.jpg

This is the full view it is 30x18x30
PB110098.jpg

Bottom half
PB110097.jpg

Top half, haha the disco ball was optional :lol:
PB110105.jpg

Bailey checking it out
PB110101.jpg

Daisy saying peek-a-boo
PB110107.jpg
[/url]
The girls coming over and telling me they like the new digs

Oooooh, that bar spacing is small? Ideal for rats, it looks like.

I love the colour of the cage, it's looks great, dimensions are great.

Picture size looks good to me.

That's the brand new SuperPet cage! They've literally just come out with it, so it's still a bit pricey and very hard to find in some areas. It's a great size, has the proper bar spacing, and even has a wheel!

That cage looks great! And lookit your teeny little girls, they are precious. :) They will love the cage.

Now if Super Pet would just get rid of the grooves on the shelves, I might be a convert eventually.

Good Jo, thanks, I was worried the pics were awful big! I believe the bar spacing is 1/2 inch or less....I have fairly normal sized hands and my index fingertip barely fits in-between them. My girls are tiny yet, they are only small rats to begin with, so they wont get extremely big. So they will grow into this cage nicely.

Java...yes it is really new. Like I said I hated paying 99 for it, I would say it is more (worth) like 60-70 price range...but it's new...and I didn't want to wait and have them grow and then switch cages on them. It isn't even on Petsmarts website yet it is so new. I have only had them a week, I am introducing the cage to them slowly as it is, hope to have them in it within the week.

I hope the groves in the shelves do not become problems, I put a "litter box' in the corner, maybe they will learn to use it and not pee pee in the groves. If they do, I noticed alot of your cages around on the site has cloth around them or lined, does that help? I mean, what do you do with that, take them off once a week or so and wash them? I would assume they still get pottied up, I guess is it easier to wash them alot or just wipe the mess out of the groves?

I will let everyone know once they get into their new "condo" how they seem to like it. :D

Paula

I have a superpet cage with the grooves in the shelves, I've never had a problem with them, cloth or not. But I do place towels over my shelves, though my boys really like to kick up the towels and bunch them up! I don't know if they do it to annoy me, or if they really are just looking for a nice, warm place to snuggle up, lol.

I change out my towels maybe once or twice a week, depending on how soiled they are. Thankfully they go to the bathroom mainly on the bottom level, which I line with newspapers rather then put down a towel, so I just toss that out when needed and replace. I really should try and litter train them. :lol:

Though I don't understand, why you're slowly introducing them to the cage? lol, I wouldn't have the patience, I'd just put them right in the new cage. Unless you aren't supposed to do that? I haven't heard anything like that though.

When I had my super pet cages, I either cleaned those shelves every day or I put towels on the levels and changed them every second day. The gathering of poop and pee in he gullies is unsanitary so should be cleaned up every day. But hopefully, they will get the idea and use the corner litter tray.

JackTheRat, I've always just put my rats into their new cage immediately, I never thought of allowing them to get used to it.
But, it sounds like a good idea and fun too... get to watch the rats move in and explore each time. :D

Hi Jack and Jo....thanks for the advice about the shelves, I will just wait and see what happens I guess As far as cage intros....maybe I am just silly. I just felt bad for them. I got them a week ago this past Sunday...was unsure what cage I would get, but knew it had to be bigger. They were a bit skittish when I got them. I just got them where they would come out if I stood by the cage and walk on my arm and hands. I got this cage Saturday, not even a week after I got my girls. I just felt bad since they were so nervous and new to me and where they were, the pet store just got them on a Friday so they lived in the pet store cage for 2 days, I brought them home on a Sunday and they lived in my small cage for a week...and I didn't want to just take them out of there and throw them in this HUGE cage after making all those adjustments so much in a weeks time. Maybe I am a sucker or a wimp, but they are so little and cute and still scared of stuff. The cage they are in now is 24x12x12 and the new one is 30x18x30 and I just wanted them to see it and not be so afraid and so much changes in a weeks time.

So they are itty bitty and moving from a cracker box to a 3 story mansion and I just want them to adjust at their pace. If I had of had them for a while I would of just put them in there. They are still at the point where if I get them out and hold them, they shiver and shake. The last couple of days has been out playtime and they have ventured out onto my bed where I set the cage and they just finally after three days went into the bottom part of it. They think it is scawy. :)

So see...I am just a sucker for cute beady scared eyes. :wink:

Paula

I have that cage too. We currently use it as the boys' "holding cage" while the ferret nation is being cleaned. We had a couple of boys in it before intros were complete and they were all able to live together.

The grooves are kind of a pain to clean the pee out of, but we make the kid do that!! Bwa ha ha ha!!! :laugh:

September, sounds to me like you aren't a sucker at all but a really good rattie mom. :wink:

I bet you are right, being that the girls are so new, you are making the transition much more easier on them.

Thanks Jo. :D

Thanks Melissa...so far I am liking it too...just got to get used to how BIG it is, it is huge compaired to my other one. They are not fully in there yet so we will see how the groves in the shelves work out. :)
Paula

I actually like that cage, as far as Superpets go. I have the My First Home for Rat Deluxe as a temp cage, and it's only 12" deep, which drives me nuts! I have two sickies living in it right now, and 2 is a bit of a stretch, let me tell you.

I actually don't thein $99 is too bad for that cage, concidering that is what they wanted at the store for the one I got. I made my friend buy it with her staff discount though, so I got it for half that :p.

Reachthestars...yeah I think $99.00 really isn't horribly bad, but I do think it could of been more of a $75 dollar range. I got a basic 24x12x12 and it was $31. The cage is nice size wise, and the set up is great, the wires are somewhat flimsy, if I tried to pick it up by anything other than by the base, it crackles and pings and just sounds like it will come crashing down. I love the cage all in all, well until my 1st cleaning comes!

I knew I would spend about $75 for a bigger cage, my 24/12 just isn't big enough for 2 girls. I got it at Petsmart. I guess I got lucky, just 2 weeks before I got my new babies, I won a Nintendo DS in a game at an arcade and I sold it on eBay and got over $125 for it, so I just used that $ for my new cage, a present to me, well and the wittle girls! :b-gift: So I guess I could just look at it as free. :toothy2:

Back