New owner and diet!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfie00

I recently just adopted a female dumbo rat who I adore so much. I plan on adopting another for her company but would love to get her diet straight.

I feed oxbow garden select young rat and mouse. I heard the adult is better but she is a baby! Should I switch to the adult? I also give a sprinkle of the Tropical Carnival mouse and rat mix to give her a tiny bit of seeds. As well as veggies only about two times a week.

So far I know people have good opinions on oxbow and giving a small amount of seeds so I think I’m good! Just wanted to hear some opinions! Thank you. :)

How old is she right now and do you know what food she was being fed where she previously lived? I currently give my rats oxbow adult rat food, they were never fans of the garden select and picked around it lol :)

I think you should switch to the adult and supplement it with extra protein like eggs- I've heard that the young rat food is nothing like the adult rat food. Oxbow's adult rat food is really good, but the young rat food is a different food and it's not that healthy.

Hi! New rat mom for about 2 months. :) He has been eating Mazuri Rat and Mouse Diet since I bought him. We have tried some veggies only Cucumber. I also give him a small amount of "rolled oats" and also just got him some Ecotrition "Yogies cheese flavor " as training treats. Honestly I think he has a sensitive stomach? I have only given him small amounts of anything other than his "kibble food" and he will have on and off soft poop. He is never lethargic. but I want him to have the best of whatever. What do you recommend? I have stopped all extra and it gets better and then with 1 treat or green he gets loose stool

Back