New here, new to Intro and behavior q

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OceanEyes117

I am doing an intro for the first time and I had a few questions. My older girl Nut is about 6 months old, is a bit hand shy, but a sweet and high energy girl. She has been an only child cause we didn't have room for two when we got her.
Just this weekend we got her a new friend cause we finally had a cage big enough for two. The new little one, Luna, is a few weeks old, I'm guessing about 2 months or so. They are both PetSmart girls cause that's all we really have around here. anyways. Luna was very shy the first few days. She was her own cage and hid in her box almost the entire time.
We did a first intro in the tub and they basically ignored each other most of the time, but cuddled on our laps when we sat with them, not at all what my BF and i were expecting. Feeling good about it, we moved them to the couch where Nut plays and roams with us all the time and again there wasn't much reaction. Nut didn't seem to want anything to do with Luna though and would leave when she came over or step on her to get to one of our laps.
After some time there we popped them into Luna's cage (Nut's old one) with food and the box Luna had been hiding in and they seemed OK with each other. The baby hid and Nut tore around exploring and wondering why the cage had shrunk. They seemed to be getting along fine, if a bit warily so we did a super clean of the big cage, rearranged everything and added a ton of new toys. They promptly took a tour and Nut took all the food and hid it in Luna's box and then lay down with Luna in Nuts ball for a nap.
After that things got a bit dicey. Nut would run out and Luna would follow wanting to play and jump on her or something and Nut would close her eyes and arch her back down, so her belly was flat against the floor whenever Luna would touch her. She would also chase her away, I was wondering why Nut was doing that and if i should be worried. They Spent the night and morning apart and now they've been chasing each other and nipping a bit, no blood but some aggression on Nuts part. Should I give them more time or just let them work it out. I don't want Nut to hurt the baby, I just don't know how careful I need to be. I will post pictures later. Thanks!

The arched back could have been Nut in heat. When I have introduced my girls there has been and still is some squeeks and rough housing but no blood was shed. Also you will see what looks like nipping (putting mouth up to others skin and looks like biting) but that's grooming. I would leave them together because they have to sort things out, who's alpha, who's not that type of thing. If it becomes more then that (blood is shed) then you can go from there. But it sounds pretty good.

Hi and welcome!!

It does sound like a good intro so far. Nut's behaviour is very normal. She is claiming the cage and her status and once Luna obeys, all should be fine.

The arched back could be her being in heat or her displaying dominance.

Back