New here from Toronto

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirtoronto

Newbie. I've had rats since I was a child but this is the first time having a litter!! Unexpected but have learned from it. Cream is an amazing mom to 10 babies. 3 weeks old. Joined to connect and to get info and tips..there is always more to learn. I love seeing people create new toys and set ups for their cages/ playpens.
Right now my male, Biscuit is separated so feel bad that he is all by himself. I'm told I should not put the baby males in with him at 5 weeks as they can't protect themselves. I do welcome advice..as long as it's polite :)
I will post some pics soon

I am still deciding. I was wondering if the baby males I keep can go with Biscuit and at what age. Still figuring it out! I was told he may be aggressive with rats younger then him. We give him playtime and lots of cuddles..

Welcome. Nice to have you here!
That's a good crowd you have there. They're so cute!
Are you keeping all of them?

Congrats on the new mischief! If you want more places to connect with other rattie lovers, check out all the Facebook rat groups. I moderate a good one... Real Rat Care, and if you need medical advice, Real Rat Lovers Want To Know is a good source of info and help, but be sure you have a good (big) cage and your able to make vet appointments when necessary. Dont EVER say you can't afford a vet or you get admonished terribly. At Real Rat Care we try to help people who can't afford a vet, even suggesting surrendering your rats in serious situations if no alternatives exist, but RRLWTK will beat you down mercilessly, to the point you'll cry and feel humiliated. I'm saying this to for-warn you and not to slam the group.

Thanks everybody. We kept 2 babies. I miss them all 😭. I called my vet and she said she doesn't recommend neuter/ spaying. Said it's too risky. I asked around and others seemed to have the same opinion. Not sure if any of you had your rats fixed? Right now the male is separated and well that's probably a whole other thread I'm going to post on because I have questions.

Back