New girl

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepper_rat

Recently my boyfriend and I got a new younger girl who we named Petunia. She is all black with little white paws and two white spots on her belly. She is adorable and such a sweetheart. We know nothing about her except that she is young and wasn’t handled very much before. Surprisingly she is the sweetest and loves to come up to our hands. She doesn’t quite understand treats yet but loves baby food. She has a slight URI so we’re keeping her separate until she gets better. I just thought I’d share this sweetheart with everyone because I think she’s going to be an amazing little rattie😍

Attachments

• 364C989A-93E0-48CD-A119-FD12DBDE32C0.jpeg
    364C989A-93E0-48CD-A119-FD12DBDE32C0.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 203
The only thing I can say is that if she's alone you should get her a friend. Rats are highly social animals. They do best when they have a friend. If you can find another little girl, then that's best as they should fit in. As they get older it's harder, so better to do it early.

As a human, you can't groom or lick or do rat-sized stuff, so yeah, it's better to have pairs

The only thing I can say is that if she's alone you should get her a friend. Rats are highly social animals. They do best when they have a friend. If you can find another little girl, then that's best as they should fit in. As they get older it's harder, so better to do it early.

As a human, you can't groom or lick or do rat-sized stuff, so yeah, it's better to have pairs
From what I understand, she has other rats but is keeping the new one separate b/c she has a URI.

Yup! She was alone in her cage before I got her and I don’t want to risk getting anyone else infected if she does have a URI or any other infection. We have 7 other girls in another room of the house that we will intro slowly after her two weeks are up. I was worried about keeping her alone but we’ve given her some chew toys and foraging toys to hopefully keep her occupied and not depressed. Of course if she started showing signs of loneliness or depression we would find a way to safely get her a friend :) I try my best to never let my rats be alone but I couldn’t find a safe way to get her a buddy for now. Soon though!!

Back