New female rat really smelly pee

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardancer08

Hello. I have a 11week old female rat that I bought from a breeder and decided to get her littermate. My original rat had already been with me a few before we got her sister. Since they don't remember each other, I currently have them in neighboring cages to start the smell process. We literally got the new girl today and I had her in my shirt. She peed on me(normal lol) but what wasn't normal was the horrible acrid smell. My other rat's urine has no smell. This new girl, She's also 11 weeks old and of the same litter.
What could be causing the urine smelling so awful? Dehydration? Something weird the breeder let her eat? Anxiety? URI?

I would be grateful for your thoughts!

there's all sorts of reasons for a baby to have smelly pee. Defintely could be dehydration, food they were fed, bedding they were on etc.
At this point, I would just offer clean water, good nutritious food and see how she is in a few days. If the urine still seems smelly, put her in a carrier or small hospital cage on white paper towel until she pees. check for darkness or even pink staining or blood. That would indicate a urinary tract infection.

Back