New double critter nation

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dena

I'm so excited y'all! I just ordered my ratties a mansion! They will be getting their double critter nation by Friday. I have baskets, and hanging toys, and boxes I've been saving to go in it. I just want ideas on set-ups. Can y'all please post pics of your cages, so I can get ideas? They have large cages now, but the critter nation is wider, and since I can reach all corners, I'll be able to do more with them. Right now they have large homemade flip top cages, so it should be interesting to see how they adapt to their new cage.

Here’s a picture of my boys cage from a few weeks ago!

Attachments

• BF7EAE1D-172C-453E-A8DF-290A08139B61.jpeg
    BF7EAE1D-172C-453E-A8DF-290A08139B61.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 260
The pan in the bottom....where did you get that? I use bedding right now, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a deeper pan for it.

make sure to put in the large middle level because horizontal space is essential for rats.
There are threads on here with people showing their CNs … see the Reference Thread and the Habitat section

My DNC. Actually, it's a TCN! Lol!!! Yea, so I did have to remove it's wheels in order to fit it into the room, it actually fits with room to spare as you can see, but in order to put the third cage up on top you need to raise it higher than it actually sits as pictured so that it can be lowered into position. Anyway, it IS on little plastic bottle caps to protect the hardwood floor, and it slides much easier too. As for ideas on things to put inside it??? I have 4 shelves, with the bottom cage there are 2 placed directly across from each other in the middle adjustment position, effectively separating the cage into 2 sections. The 2nd cage is open with no shelves (I need 2 more but have never yet HAD to have them) and 3 big males sharing the cage. And finally, the 3rd cage on top has 2 shelves NOT positioned across from each other, but rather, 1vis in the bottom adjustment slots, and 1 is in the top slots, so that the 3 busybody females have lots of room to roam around in and they've made the top shelf the bedroom, the bottom shelf the bathroom, and the floor is where I feed them and they have a wheel and a box. As you can see, I use a mixture of newspapers and fleece, and litter corner trays. My setup may look a mess, but it is effective and easy to clean. And that is priority when you have a lot of rats, and cages to clean.

Attachments

• IMG_20190730_101140.jpg
    IMG_20190730_101140.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 210
My cage came in and is all set up! Just have to put in a few more fun things for them. All the rats were SUPER excited about it, except Macaroni. She picked the corner closest to me and stared at me the whole day! Here's se pics so far....

Edit: it keeps telling me the I.ages are too large to upload....

A few pics. Still adding stuff. The newspaper was a bad idea. Fleece coming soon.

Attachments

• B340B8CE-FF51-4FC9-8D64-5F946223F621.jpeg
    B340B8CE-FF51-4FC9-8D64-5F946223F621.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 8A79189F-0B50-44F8-887E-7C0D6EA56AF6.jpeg
    8A79189F-0B50-44F8-887E-7C0D6EA56AF6.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 181
  • 8B3EE5EF-FB38-423E-8FCF-361BF3D4B001.jpeg
    8B3EE5EF-FB38-423E-8FCF-361BF3D4B001.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 195
Here’s a picture of my boys cage from a few weeks ago!
You should cover that ladder with a sock, bars and grayescare dangerous for ratties. You don't want to learn the hard way that they occasionally pull a nail out climbing them. Toenail pulls bleed A LOT! And I know a sock is no attractive, but it functions perfectly, and they are easily washed. Just a thought to consider.

A few pics. Still adding stuff. The newspaper was a bad idea. Fleece coming soon.
I love newspaper. If they rip it up change over to paper bags from grocery store until they get done shredding it for their hideout. Fleece is moved into corners and balled up and chewed up, so I hope you are ready for the havoc, lol

You can order CN/FN shelves
I know, I have already from Foster and Grant. Took months to get off backorder. But it was super cheap. I have 4 now, 2 more and I have 6 separate enclosures. And my Prevue makes 8 total. Also have a backup cage with 1 male in it, it's a PetSmart cage I guess, has 2 shelves and a hammock. I'm caged out, lol

Back