New Cagesmates and Food/Coveted Areas

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Karma

Hi Everyone,

Today i will be putting my new boys in with my older guys in a newly remodeled and scrubbed down cage.

I have a few more questions:

How may they react to each other when it comes to food and sleeping areas? I'm a dog trainer so i know these are hot sports for resource guarders but i didn't know if it would be the same for rats. During my intro there has not been food around so i am wondering what will happen at dinner time. I'm thinking to put out two bowls of food.

Next, when is the best time to put them all in the cage together: morning, day or evening? I was thinking morning or day because they will be sleepy and less likely to fight?

Any other considerations for when they are put in the same cage?

Tara

I always give a bowl of very runny oatmeal/baby cereal during intros. They have to sit there and interact with each other, and it's a yummy treat. Why fight when you can have something with blueberries, right?

There may be a some posturing when sleeping arrangements are being made. if someone gets too huffy or someone doesn't want to sleep with someone else, they usually just find another spot. I've rarely seen non aggressive rats get funny about food. You can go ahead and use two bowls for a bit, just in case, but there shouldn't be much of a problem.

I agree with Java they will rarely fight over food they are to busy chowing down. I always put everyone together when I can be there for the first few hours and within hearing distance so I can hear any scuffles.

I think that your cage is big enough that they will probably be fine when it comes to where they sleep. I am sure at first the new boys will stick together and eventually become more comfortable with approaching the residents. Eventually you will see a big ball of noses and tails sleeping together which is super rewarding.

And, if the young boys are considerably smaller you can offer a space/item that only they can get into if things get too heated. I've never done this but I've heard it can help.

Back