new cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Karma

Hi all,

the boys that i adopted came with there own cage:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...are&fbc=1&parentPage=family&keepsr=1#prodTab1

26.5x18.5x51.5 It's not a bad cage (for being free!) but its not very adustable. I would really like a whole second level but the sheves only attach to the corners - not in the middle.

How do a build my own shelf? Any ideas or instructions would be great!

Thanks!

Tara

You can use just about anything, really. You can get cooling rats [make sure the grid is 1/2" squared] and zip tie them at the edges. You can get hardware cloth and do the same. I know some have done that, but I don't personally know how sturdy that is.. You can also get closet shelving, though you'll need to cover that with something since the bars are generally 1" apart with no cross bars.

I've heard some people have success with using tiles as shelves... How to set that up though... I haven't a clue.

I know people line shelves with lino tiles, but I've never seen anyone ysing tiles for a shelf on it's own..

Cool cage :thumbup: aren't free things great? I've made shelves out of tile but I use plastic coated bathroom shelves first, the type you can buy at Dollarama then I cut tile or use the sticky back ones on top, then I attach them to the cages with zip/cable ties :D

Back