New boys! :) ✨

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat2020

Hello I just adopted three Brothers they are around 11 weeks old and they drink and eat just fine. I have a good size large cage for them to play in and roam around including a hammock lots of water and some hanging toys that they seem to use all of just fine. However when I approached them and make kissy sounds they clinch their bodies quite drastically. But when I open the cage and put my hand in closely to them I let them sniff me and then I pet them near their ears or whatever you say and they seem to do just fine but they seem very tense but they do not bite which is good.
What is the best way in your experience when you get new rats that are still only 11 weeks old to help them adjust to you and feel comfortable with you so that you and your rats can have a healthier Bond. Thank you all so much I love this group

Attachments

• IMG_20200126_201003.jpg
    IMG_20200126_201003.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20200126_200943.jpg
    IMG_20200126_200943.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 107
How long have you had them? It takes time to gains rat's trust, and for them to not be scared sometimes. All rats are different, so don't get discouraged if it takes longer than you hoped it would. Check out our reference thread for good info on housing (the cage you have in your profile pic looks a little small, and won't work for them as they grow), and foods they can and can't eat. There's all sorts of good info on there. Also check out www.joinrats.com for some good info on socializing. Welcome to the forum, your babies look so sweet!

Spending lots of time with them, socializing them by having the cage open and handing them treats, allow them to come visit with you, climb on you and all the while keep giving them yummy healthy treats.
I also highly recommend the joinrats.com site. It's excellent for rat socializing.

Back