New boy - needs some work

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yuri has gotten to where he needs no coaxing to come out to play. He is always eager to come out.

He like food, but does not seem food motivated. Which sucks, because that's always a good way to win them over.

Yesterday and today he was in my lap during out time. He even crawled up my chest and would have been sniffing my face if I hadn't has him back off. Don't fancy facial wounds!

At times I can pet him or rest my hand on him without hi being bothered. Other times he whirls on me quickly. I hold my hand near so he can smell it's just me, but when he gets close enough I see his moth start to open for biting so I pull out of reach.

I welcome any other tips on how to help this guy. So far we are making slow progress. I'm hesitant to intro him to any if my boys before I have a little more control with him; he also rubs all over stuff like a hormonal spazz so intros may not go so hot. A neuter on the other hand might do him good...

Yuri in the Sputnik. He likes Sputnik :)
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418444280.850072.jpg

Out
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418444297.516719.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418444307.835681.jpg

The good news - he went in his hammock for the first time tonight! But didn't stay long.

Bad news - might have gone overboard with the light touching; he got fed up and bit me.

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418533718.139913.jpg

Me making the best of a bad situation...lol
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418533738.659041.jpg

Can't get mad at this handsome lad
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418534126.694459.jpg

I'm either used to bites, or Yuri just doesn't bite in scary attack way. It's like slow motion...

Last edited:
Okay, the happy face you made out of your wound was just awesome. :) That's the spirit!

You are being so wonderfully patient and understanding with Yuri, which is fantastic. He could not ask for a better Mommy. I am sorry about those bites but I know you are taking it in stride and working hard at developing some trust with Yuri. I know it will pay off in the long run. :)

I apologize about thinking Freedom was the name you had picked for him! I think I misread one of the posts and assumed wrong. Yuri is an awesome name for him! I think he LOOKS like a Yuri. Not sure why, but he does.

Keep us posted on how things progress? I am rooting for him and for you too. By the way, I love the photo of him in his sputnik...if I was a scared/unsure ratty, I would love being in the snug confines of a sputnik. I have never seen a rat that didn't love their sputnik hideaway!

That smiley face made me laugh!
Sorry you got chomped. I'm glad he doesn't have you intimidated. He will be so special to you when you finally crack that nut!

As for spooky boy, go slow, become the Bringer of Good Things, and then hopefully the One Who Brings Him to Great Places, and eventually the Bringer of Friends.
I love this! It's the exact order in which things are turning out to be done with my first. You're a poet.

Back