New boy - needs some work

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temblabamomo

About a month ago I was contacted on FB by a woman from our local-ish rat group. This poor PEW boy had been spotted under someone's porch and after 3 weeks he was caught. He was looked after by Aria Rattery in Florida, but she wanted him to be in a home where someone could work with him and help him be a happy social rat. A friend of hers was traveling to NC for the holiday last week, and another friend got him from Raleigh to Elizabeth City. BF and I retrieved him from there over the weekend. He has traveled 600+ miles from Florida and is finally settled into his new home with me in VA.

He is very very *very* spooky, and I am taking things very slowly with him. He has already improved since his rescue - I am told initially he would just freeze when you approached his cage. He will come over to see you when you approach now and doesn't hide.

I have not tried to handle him but it is my understanding that he is a biter and does not tolerate handling. He has bitten at my gloved hand hard, but it isn't one if those lightening quick strikes. More of a very heavy warning.

He is missing a chunk of his tail. It looks to be healing okay, does not look infected. Should I have him on abs to he safe?

He has not told me his name yet. He's such a nutty little spookster, I'm not sure he even speaks the same language as most rats.

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417581971.110777.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417582223.165537.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417582242.649734.jpg

His poor tail :(
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417582266.404942.jpg

Awww poor little guy... So glad he has a safe home now.
I wouldn't start on antibiotics unless it looks like he needs it. Keep doing what you're doing and eventually he should come around.
How do people tell the difference between a domesticated rat and a wild one?

How do people tell the difference between a domesticated rat and a wild one?

I'm not sure there is any such thing as a wild PEW. Most wild rats will be brown agouti or black. If you ever see a PEW or a hoodie or fawn, etc. outside, odds are it is domestic and an escaped pet or dumped feeder.

We have hooded rats in Baltimore city... Not like purebred contest wining rats.... They very well could have been escaped and were breeding. Cuz they were not normal sized rats... Unfortunately the few I've seen are usually dead. But they look like they've been living in the city forever.
And I'm pretty sure PEWs are just albinos that are then breed for the rare trait. But technically it could occur in the wild again.
I guess it really just depends on where you live. Like where I work I would assume every rat is wild... But where i live I'd be pretty sure they were domesticated...

Aww, poor little guy...he will learn soon that he is safe and loved. I am rooting for him. Sooner or later, he will tell you his name. :love6:

We have hooded rats in Baltimore city... Not like purebred contest wining rats.... They very well could have been escaped and were breeding. Cuz they were not normal sized rats... Unfortunately the few I've seen are usually dead. But they look like they've been living in the city forever.
And I'm pretty sure PEWs are just albinos that are then breed for the rare trait. But technically it could occur in the wild again.
I guess it really just depends on where you live. Like where I work I would assume every rat is wild... But where i live I'd be pretty sure they were domesticated...

Any rat not-agouti is a domesticated rat, and the dead ones you saw were dumped outside, and probably died a terrible death :(

Albinism is rare in animals as it makes them much more likely to be noticed by predators, and a rat would likely be killed off and not carry their genes forward.

As for spooky boy, go slow, become the Bringer of Good Things, and then hopefully the One Who Brings Him to Great Places, and eventually the Bringer of Friends. If he stays stuck where he is with no real progress in his fears you might want to look at giving him a friend(s) and see if that helps him with his fears. Its easier to work with a spooky rat if they can relax and be happy with friends and see those nice rats interact with you without fear.

Last edited:
Wow, what a journey he has had so far. I'm glad he is with you. You have the knowledge and patience to bring him around and let him live a normal rattie life. Who knows what his life was like before being dumped, or how long he was actually outside on his own before being noticed. I'll be following his progress with interest. Thanks for giving him this opportunity!
Oh, and I would not give him any antibiotics if there is no sign of infection. He can keep that area clean. He might have narrowly missed being eaten! Perhaps he has some form of PTSD?

What a beautiful, strong boy :) and shame on the person that probably dumped him...Can't blame him for not trusting and being angry with humans and in my opinion he has every right to feel that way but hopefully in time he will see that not all humans are monsters. Tell him that me and my ratties send him lots of love and snuggles even if he doesn't want it right now, someday maybe :)

Well said RatPack, and agreed. Can't blame this boy for being angry at humans right now..he has every right to be. Soon he will learn that there are kind and loving humans though, like his new mommy. :)

Handsome boy! UB was a caught outside and is a PEW he was assumed released from the university's lab. Now he's a sweet outgoing boy. He was found about the age of 5-7months.
Tyrion wants to be his friend. He gave him a kiss on the screen. Odin also approves haha.
He looks like a Sullivan or Sebastien but only he can agree and tell you

It's been a little over a week since this guy came home. Tonight, he finally came out of the cage on his own :D

Once out, he was fairly bold, not slinking around and hiding like some very timid rats do. He is a very brave little guy. He probably had to be to survive outside for all those weeks.

He bit at my leg through my jeans, not sure if it was a "are you food?" bite or a "keep yer distance lady, just cuz I'm out doesn't mean I'm friendly" warning bite.

He doesn't flinch when I move or raise my hand near him to touch him. I'm not sure which is more difficult - a terrified timid rat, or an unfriendly rat who's not afraid of anything...I am sensing inevitable bloodshed before his trust is earned...being prepared is great, but the suspense is killing me lol.

Freedom
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418089258.957967.jpg

Exploring this big human
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418089269.288473.jpg

Safety and a quick snack in the Sputnik
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418089330.077065.jpg

Poor tail
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418089345.578169.jpg

Not his name yet. I thought he told me his name us Yuri, but he may have said Tofu. My hearing isn't so great :p

Spidey sense was dead on, during out time tonight he walked calmly up to me and bit my arm. I actually heard it before I felt it lol (urgh!) Must give myself credit for calmly watching it happen then telling him politely "No, we do not bite our humans" ( instead of jumping up and swearing like I usually do). It was not an aggressive bite, but definitely not friendly.

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418179228.224293.jpg

Back