New Blood

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaclyn Bush

Greetings!

I'm new to this forum, but not new to rats.
I may not be the most experienced owner, but it's not my first rodeo.

Growing up as a kid, I've always had a pet of some sort. Fish, Lizards, Hamsters, Snakes, Dogs, and Rats. Not necessarily all at once, ha.
My father bred Feeders for his snakes years ago [YEARS AGO], but I would always handle the pinkies and care for them as they got older, and even kept a few for myself from each litter.

Currently, myself and my step-daughter each have 2 females. 4 total.
I'm also currently caring for a rescued mama rat with a litter of 10, one being a runt. So I'm hoping for the best.

Welcome ! :)

Sounds like you have your hands full :)
Babies are so sweet. I hope you post lots of pictures

As you are likely aware, if the runt is not getting enough milk, you can remove some of the other babies for 10 mins or so, so that the runt does not have too much competition (I have read that if mom is taken out of the cage, when she is returned, she will start nursing.) If that doesn't work, you can also supplement what the runt is getting from mom, by feeding a bit by hand using a small, new paint brush.

Thanks!

I actually have a separate thread about the Runt with more details if you're by chance able to give any more advice there.
https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/9-day-old-runt.35757/

Welcome ! :)

Sounds like you have your hands full :)
Babies are so sweet. I hope you post lots of pictures

As you are likely aware, if the runt is not getting enough milk, you can remove some of the other babies for 10 mins or so, so that the runt does not have too much competition (I have read that if mom is taken out of the cage, when she is returned, she will start nursing.) If that doesn't work, you can also supplement what the runt is getting from mom, by feeding a bit by hand using a small, new paint brush.

Back