New baby boys

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marie Shannon

7B0D03DC-BF7F-491B-A742-B9BA790A498E.jpeg
EA4CFEBA-9E67-4CD5-B7CE-7533D6FD8AA0.jpeg
76306F15-7746-46E7-A275-E6E7C42E8384.jpeg
A172FBBF-82FA-490D-86A1-F00B0862BF0D.jpeg
Hello everyone,

I’m both new to the Rat Shack as well as rat owning in general. Just yesterday I brought in two baby boys from a store where they were plan to be used as feeder rats for snakes and other reptiles. They’re still fairly young but I’m not entirely sure of their exact age.

So far they’ve been eating fine but seem quite skittish and anxious to crawl around when held. Both of them seem to enjoy sleeping in their hut and don’t run around too much. I’ve heard some occasional chattering and the occasional noise towards each other while they cuddle. I’ve made sure to give them plenty of food and they are eating well. I showed them how the water bottle worked by bringing the tube to them and one of them drank from it. Although they seem more active at night they don’t seem to interested when I place my hand inside of the cage with a few treats. I’ve also taken them out and let them run around in a medium sized clear ball so that I don’t lose them in the many small spaces of my room. I’ve tried holding them aside from this but once again they seem to love climbing and crawling

I’ve tried to give them enough time to adjust but since I’m new to all of this I just wanted to make sure I’m not being too forceful wth socialization. Any tips or advice would be very helpful!

They are super adorable. I usually don't give my new guys time to adjust, I make them part of the family right away. It might be considered forced socializing but as long as they have a choice to return to the cage or find a comfy spot, I don't see that as a bad thing.

Welcome!!

I am a new owner too! I was told to handle them a lot at first to get them used to my scent. I have had them two months and they still get skittish around me sometimes. They are much better though and crawl all over me now.
I hope this helps.
You have some super adorable ratties

Monica

Thanks so much! So far I’ve been holding them pretty much every day even if it’s just to set them on my shoulder. The brown one definitely seems more skittish and climbs a lot more in comparison to the gray one who seems fairly content sitting on my shoulder or in my palm!

Back