Neutering

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa

My boys pee EVERYWHERE! They especially like to sit on my hand and have a nice long tinkle. They are over 2 so I won't neuter them but if I was to neuter new additions, would this prevent this sort of thing from happening?

I always find it funny what my boys pee on :lol: They don't mark me anymore but when my bf is here, Coal goes on a pee spree all over him :tongwigl: it's like he's picking out what he wants: "Oh, this is mine, that's mine, opp that too " It drives my bf crazy, I tell him it's because Coal :heart: him but he says no, Coal hates him :gaah:

mamarat said:
My neutered boys still pee, mmm, I mean tell me they love me.

Nice to know they are telling me they love me :lol:

My neutered males still leave their love scents everywhere BUT they don't fight as much!

Is it odd that my girls pee everywhere? I don't think my boys ever marked as much as they do. :shock:

I neutered a boy once due to aggression and it didn't improve anything. Marking or his personality. :(

My girls only do it if they get scared, or if they have been out for a while, this is usually Hazel. She will back in against the back of the couch and pee. But they also back in like that in their cage.

I find my dominant rats, male or female, are the ones who mark me mostly. I have noticed my 3 neutered domestic boys (I cannot count Ortiz and Beni since they don't get handled much) don't mark me as much as some of the girls. :banana:

Oh man. With two rats fighting for the dominant rat crown it's no wonder they leave a trail on me all the time. And my bed. : x

i have 4 neutered male rats, two were neutered later, and 2 were neutered young, my younger boys have never marked me, and behave more like submissivee licky girls, anouter rat i got neutered when he was one year, he still marks but not nearly as much, he used to run to your sock and pee, he dosn't do that anymore. the other one was a bit older, but i am not sure how old because he is a reasue, i woulf think he was at least 15 months when neutered. i didn't get him too long before that so i don't know how he was before. he never marks me. just likes to chew my hair..

hope that helps, and there's a vet in toronto who will do rat neuters for less then $100 with dissolving stitches, and metacam pain injection. he has done 9 rats that i know personally within the last 7 months. this is at the bloor-kipling animal hospital.

Overall I think my boys seemed to be 'wetter' than my girls. But boys or girls - some kids make a point of regularly straddling my hand and letting go, and others have a dryer sense of humor. I think it's a personality thing.

unglued said:
i have 4 neutered male rats, two were neutered later, and 2 were neutered young, my younger boys have never marked me, and behave more like submissivee licky girls, anouter rat i got neutered when he was one year, he still marks but not nearly as much, he used to run to your sock and pee, he dosn't do that anymore. the other one was a bit older, but i am not sure how old because he is a reasue, i woulf think he was at least 15 months when neutered. i didn't get him too long before that so i don't know how he was before. he never marks me. just likes to chew my hair...
It does help, thanks. I will look into that clinic as well.

I really want to neuter and spay all of my kids. What is the best age for males and females?

I believe it's between 3-6 months. For some reason that sticks in my head. Hopefully I'm not thinking of cats. :lol:

It all depends on your vet and how comfortable she/he is doing them at an early age. For spays, I'd say the earlier the better.
My vet will spay and neuter as young as 3 weeks old.

Back