Neutered male rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasageyo

Almost a year ago I neutered one of my male rats, but all my other rats keep annoying him, sniffing and touching his genitals. And they all also hump him, I just feel bad for him, I don't know what I can do. I don't really want to neuter the rest of them, because that cost alot of money :(. Please someone help me.

Hey there! The humping / genital sniffing/touching, as weird as it is to us humans because we have boundaries, is 100% normal for rats. Neutered rats, intact rats, males and females all do it (you'll get a rare individual that won't). It's a different way of establishing and maintaining their pecking order and checking in with each other (like dogs do). If they're not actually causing him harm, I would leave it be (no blood, no foul). Sounds like he may just be on the lowest rung of the social ladder - but that's still worth something in a rat colony.

If they are truly annoying him, remove the nuisance rats temporarily. If you have a carrier or empty smaller cage, 10 minute time-out with no toys or anything interesting when you catch them doing it. Then put 'em back as if nothing happened. They'll eventually get the hint simply by removal.

To know the difference: if he screams (not submissive peeps, those are fine); fluffs up and looks like a giant cotton ball; or bites/chases them, that means he is truly annoyed. If he peeps, rolls over, kicks a bit at them, or they start "boxing" - that's totally fine, they're sorting it out themselves and don't need interference. Minor annoyance, but better to let them sort it.

But, that said, as an off-hand read this seems like very normal and harmless behaviour. Just bizarre to witness.

Almost a year ago I neutered one of my male rats, but all my other rats keep annoying him, sniffing and touching his genitals. And they all also hump him, I just feel bad for him, I don't know what I can do. I don't really want to neuter the rest of them, because that cost alot of money :(. Please someone help me.
Hello, any updates on your neutered rat?

Back