Neuter

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Ralphie is a rescue who spent his life alone in a very small tank on pine. No toys etc.
In April, when I took him in, I was told he was 2 years old. Had him in quarantine for a month ... treated for respir & mites. He was a sweet, shy boy who was very curious about other rats. He showed no signs of aggression. Adopted him out to a good home. Phoned a few times but never connected and my messages were not returned. Found out that Ralphie had not been integrated in with the baby boys that were also adopted through me and that Ralphie was biting. Reclaimed Ralphie and made some changes to food the other boys were being fed. (Will check on the other boys again this week.)

Anyway, I have been bitten (and bled) several times by Ralphie when he was excited by the smell of other rats or when he didn't want me to pick him up. Ralphie puffs up and snorts at other rats in their cages and tries to get at them. Have an appointment to get him neutered next week as he doesn't look two and is healthy.
What do you think?
Would a neuter help his aggression given his age?

I have had rats of all ages neutered, from six months to over two years, and every single time (but one) it has made an enormous difference with their aggression. They have gone from biting me almost down to the bone to being the definition of marshmallows.
There is always a risk to any surgery, regardless of the vets ability and the good health of the rat, but it is always a route that I will take. Animals that are hormonally aggressive don't look like they are enjoying their lives very much, and with rats being the social creatures they are I would risk it in order for them to have the companionship that they need. I have never been in a situation where I have regretted that decision, although I know that some have.
Good luck with the little beastie, let us know how it goes.

That was exactly my story with Radar. Although, Radar only bit me once and it wasn't a bad bite either, I could tell his anxiety and stress over the other rats were mounting and like Vanessa said, it certainly can't be much fun for him either.
Radar was neutered yesterday, I believe him to be over 18 months, closer to 2 but he is in great health.

For us, every time we had a male neutered it has calmed them down totally.

My mom adopted this young siamese. He became so aggressive, he would throw himself on my mom, he would run and leap in the air to land on her jeans in order to bite. He was nasty, an aggressiveness, I have never seen in a rat before. 3 weeks after his neuter, Rogue is the sweetest, most loving rat we've ever had. He lives in a colony of 10, mixed rats, spayed females, neutered male and unaltered male too. They are getting along great.

Although there are risks, I would still recommend a neuter.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I had thought neutering would be a good idea,
then wondered if it would have much effect given his age ...
wasn't sure if he would still have lots of hormones at his age.

Guess Ralphie will be keeping his vet appointment next week.

Holly the day I was at your house one of your boys jumped out of the playpen and cuddled on my lap.....which one, if you remember, was that??
He was a big dark colored boy.....

Yes that is the one....I couldn't remember his name. He is so sweet. Do you have an recent pictures of him and his brothers?...I would love to have a couple......sorry this is off topic.......

Back