Neuter boy near females

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lovebugrat

Hi,
Can I put my neutered boy, in a separate cage (plastic dog crate) near my females (critter nation)? He was neutered 6 days ago. He has been in another room and was really sad, scared etc. I put him near the girls and he is out and everyone is smelling the air. Will be chew through the plastic? He is 4 months old. They won't be officially together for another 3 weeks +. I don't know how long it takes the hormones to settle, I know he may still have sperm. I'm not sure if his reaction is just happy to be near rats or excited to smell the females. Thanks

yes, just make sure the cages are far enough apart that they can not reach through the bars and touch one another as rats are normally territorial towards unfamiliar rats.
He may chew through the plastic.
Since he is only 4 weeks old you likely just need to wait until all the sperm are dead before starting physical intros - some say 2 weeks after the neuter but 3 (or 4) weeks is safer

Back