Need help.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatmomTracey

Hi there. Been taking care or my kids rat for 3 days. He has a severe respiratory infection and I have been treating him am and pm with meds from the vet. The vet gave him a 50/50 shot. He hasn’t eaten a thing, but I have gotten pedialyte into him. He is still dehydrated though and I worry I’m causing more stress with the syringe feeding. He has gone from heavy, rasp, loud breathing with …what sounded like crying with every breath, to mostly just raspy, labored breathin. He can rest now, but sometimes he is standing up trying to get air. I have tried the vetRx. My question is how do I know if he is suffering and not going to get better? It’s heartbreaking to see and hear, but I’ve read these infections can take 3 weeks to clear up. My kids are heartbroken and I will be his nurse as long as he may get better, but the suffering kills me. Thank you.

He is on antibiotics? Respiratory infections are very dangerous for rats--it's hard for me to tell from your post how severe it is. Taking him to the vet was the right thing, I just hope your vet knows something about rats--s/he should know how to handle the situation a lot better than anyone here.

If necessary, you could put him in an oxygen chamber (hard to DIY, but from what I understand, it's possible), and steamy air might help him breathe, too. But if he is suffering a lot, euthanasia is also an option... but again, your vet would know much better than me. I thought antibiotics needed three days to start working, not three weeks. I'm sorry I can't be of more help... everything depends on how bad/how advanced the infection is.

He is on antibiotics? Respiratory infections are very dangerous for rats--it's hard for me to tell from your post how severe it is. Taking him to the vet was the right thing, I just hope your vet knows something about rats--s/he should know how to handle the situation a lot better than anyone here.

If necessary, you could put him in an oxygen chamber (hard to DIY, but from what I understand, it's possible), and steamy air might help him breathe, too. But if he is suffering a lot, euthanasia is also an option... but again, your vet would know much better than me. I thought antibiotics needed three days to start working, not three weeks. I'm sorry I can't be of more help... everything depends on how bad/how advanced the infection is.
Thank you for responding. I realized I had probably made this post in the wrong area. I reposted in Health. He definitely had severe respiratory infection, but he’s been on antibiotics since 9/20 and sounds a lot better. Still wheezy and labored.But I’ve made soft food for him and he still won’t eat 😞

Back