Need help with unknown lump. Urgent

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triprasetia

I notice the hard lump after i heard my boy (1.5 y.o) cry while grooming his little pee pee. when i touch the lump slowly, it also cry a bit, I am scared to death now, my first rat doesnt survive on surgery amd I dont know whats gonna happen to me if my last boy also need surgery :((((((
D5B38158-2CA9-44A6-A9A2-A5AF228BD3C3.jpeg

That is a preputial gland abscess. Boys get these occasionally. You can fill up a bathroom sink with warm water and have him stand in it a few minutes (wear long sleeves to protect your arms from scratches). This will encourage the abscess to surface, open and drain. Once it opens up you will want to flush it twice a day with isotonic saline (you can make it yourself from salt and water). Keep flushing until it's healed towards the surface. Don't use ointment as it encourages surface healing only.

That is a preputial gland abscess. Boys get these occasionally. You can fill up a bathroom sink with warm water and have him stand in it a few minutes (wear long sleeves to protect your arms from scratches). This will encourage the abscess to surface, open and drain. Once it opens up you will want to flush it twice a day with isotonic saline (you can make it yourself from salt and water). Keep flushing until it's healed towards the surface. Don't use ointment as it encourages surface healing only.
Thank you so much for your advice, sorry for late reply. I will apply warm water to him now.

94EC5FD5-6020-4F14-AC45-EE1175965B3B.jpeg
Its been a few days, and I want to update. Today the abscess finally open. However the lump seems to move to the center (before it more to right). Hope he will get better soon. I want to thank you again lilspaz. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

I notice the hard lump after i heard my boy (1.5 y.o) cry while grooming his little pee pee. when i touch the lump slowly, it also cry a bit, I am scared to death now, my first rat doesnt survive on surgery amd I dont know whats gonna happen to me if my last boy also need surgery :((((((View attachment 13688
Possible Preputial Gland abscess. See a vet. Could be an easy treatment or something similar to what my poor Gollum went through, months of my hoping and trying. And his pain and up and downs days. Unfortunately, I eventually had to let him cross the bridge (with assistance from vet) when it was obviously never going to get better and his pain increased to where he was in constant distress. It cost me $1600 over 2 months or so, due to emergency visits to clean out his abscess, but inevitably he lost his battle, and I lost my friend.

Possible Preputial Gland abscess. See a vet. Could be an easy treatment or something similar to what my poor Gollum went through, months of my hoping and trying. And his pain and up and downs days. Unfortunately, I eventually had to let him cross the bridge (with assistance from vet) when it was obviously never going to get better and his pain increased to where he was in constant distress. It cost me $1600 over 2 months or so, due to emergency visits to clean out his abscess, but inevitably he lost his battle, and I lost my friend.
Oh, and he might need a procedure to drain/clean out the abscess, but if the material is of a hard, solid consistency, and not the usual liquid pus, then it has to respond to treatment or else it will continue to develop pus and that will tell you that it's not going to be a successful recovery, most likely anyway. I pray that it's just the liquid form and can be drained without much invasiveness. My best to your little one.

View attachment 13713Its been a few days, and I want to update. Today the abscess finally open. However the lump seems to move to the center (before it more to right). Hope he will get better soon. I want to thank you again lilspaz. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
Oh, I should have read this before I responded, lol. If there's still a lump after it opens and drains, take him to your vet so he can get the rest out. Could be a separate abscess close by, or just more pics not draining easily, or, and I hope it's not, a more solidified pus, which would mean a more invasive procedure to remove it. I do not recommend trying to squeeze it out, that could backfire and cause more harm than good, a LOT more! Good luck with your rattie!!!

Hi Lilspaz. Just an afternote, you remember what I went through with my Gollum, $1600 and months of hope and despair ended badly. If his abscess drains but still has a lump, I would definitely recommend vacvet visit to do a slightly invasive procedure to drain/remove whatever is still there, and hopefully its just another walled off abscess of liquid and not the hard/solidified mass of gunk that is much more difficult to recuperate from. 😥

Back