Need help with treating - bumblefoot, sprain or broken leg?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 19448

Hello!
We've got Alastor over a year and a half ago,from a pet store, he's been doing pretty well, but now has problems with his front leg, he holds it up all the time, only use it to support food eating, never walks on it, other than that he seems quite active, eating, drinking. We went to a vet that prescribed him some form of homeopathics, never gave me the name, just tagged RRO or something... Not so long ago, we sucessfully treated his huge abscess in his tummy area. The leg is swollen for over 4 days now, today i spotted some closed small yellow "abscesses or pimple like" spots about 0,5mm big on his front sick paw. I'm sincerely asking for help with treatment, since vet told us that it doesnt seem broken and i suspect the infection of the healed abscess traveling around his body. We've had one more rat friend that we had to euthanize before for respiratory infection eventually leading to paralysis and nerve damage, i certainly dont want same end for our other big boy. We reduced him to single level cage, so he doesnt get any fun ideas climbing everywhere and we try to keep it as sterile as possible.
Thanks so much in advance!!!
Daniel

Attachments

• msg-1251138592-265.jpg
    msg-1251138592-265.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 79
  • msg-1251138592-266.jpg
    msg-1251138592-266.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 68
  • msg-1251138592-267.jpg
    msg-1251138592-267.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 67
  • msg-1251138592-268.jpg
    msg-1251138592-268.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 69
The first thing I would do is pain/swelling relief (meloxicam or infant liquid ibuprofen). Swelling alone can cause a lot of issues. It can swell up so much it pushes body fluid through the skin, it can compromise blood flow to the affected limb. Get the swelling down and re-evaluate the situation. You'd need his weight to figure out a proper dose.

Hello!
We've got Alastor over a year and a half ago,from a pet store, he's been doing pretty well, but now has problems with his front leg, he holds it up all the time, only use it to support food eating, never walks on it, other than that he seems quite active, eating, drinking. We went to a vet that prescribed him some form of homeopathics, never gave me the name, just tagged RRO or something... Not so long ago, we sucessfully treated his huge abscess in his tummy area. The leg is swollen for over 4 days now, today i spotted some closed small yellow "abscesses or pimple like" spots about 0,5mm big on his front sick paw. I'm sincerely asking for help with treatment, since vet told us that it doesnt seem broken and i suspect the infection of the healed abscess traveling around his body. We've had one more rat friend that we had to euthanize before for respiratory infection eventually leading to paralysis and nerve damage, i certainly dont want same end for our other big boy. We reduced him to single level cage, so he doesnt get any fun ideas climbing everywhere and we try to keep it as sterile as possible.
Thanks so much in advance!!!
Daniel
Its not Bumblefoot (thats a hind feet thing), broken, or sprained. Its infected,vehich, of course, is painful, so he favors it. Give antibiotics and keep his cage floor spotless. Is he litterbox trained? That will help with keeping cage clean. He should be fine with antibiotics.

Back