need help With scared rat(new rat owner

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sushitrash39

i recently got two new baby rats and they have been perfectly fine,warming up to me,taking treats and playing around but i recently noticed they were using the other corner of their cage as a bathroom so i switched their hideaway and the litter box and now one rat is burrowed inside the hide away and my other rat is on the top platform backed into a corner staring at me and not moving,did i do something wrong? will he be okay? what do i do to fix this!

How long have you had the babies?

At least from what you said, it sounds like the one on the platform got spooked by something and are trying to evaluate the situation. As for the other one, the one that burrowed into a hide, sounds like it may be them just sleeping. My rats get fleece for their hides and they often make a nest inside the hides.

How long have you had the babies?

At least from what you said, it sounds like the one on the platform got spooked by something and are trying to evaluate the situation. As for the other one, the one that burrowed into a hide, sounds like it may be them just sleeping. My rats get fleece for their hides and they often make a nest inside the hides.

This is my third day having them and they are doing so much better, i just got scared because i wasn't sure whats going on, he will still stand in the corner for a little bit every now and then but he will move around after a while and i don’t think I'm scaring him because he is crawling into my hand to take treats now and doesn’t immediately run away

Rats often get spooked by loud, sudden noises and movements, but will often settle down once they know they're safe. I've had rats spook and then come over and grab food a few moments later. Food is a huge motivator for our furry friends!

Is he staring in the corner or just standing there?

Rats often get spooked by loud, sudden noises and movements, but will often settle down once they know they're safe. I've had rats spook and then come over and grab food a few moments later. Food is a huge motivator for our furry friends!

Is he staring in the corner or just standing there?

He would stare at me but then go along with whatever he was doing,but for some reason they like to lay/hide behind the litter box in a small crevice now instead of laying inside the hideaway i bought them.is that normal??

You should provide them a couple of places to hide, and safe sleeping places (like hammocks). You can put a couple of empty cardboard boxes in there, or an empty tissue box. Rats love to hide, and dig in things. It's also very important for them to have multiple places to hide if they feel scared. How big is your cage? Do they have lots of levels, and baskets? You can get things like baskets, and things to make levels from the dollar tree. They also need lots of toys and things to play with and for enrichment. Rats are very intelligent, and need something to keep them busy.

You should provide them a couple of places to hide, and safe sleeping places (like hammocks). You can put a couple of empty cardboard boxes in there, or an empty tissue box. Rats love to hide, and dig in things. It's also very important for them to have multiple places to hide if they feel scared. How big is your cage? Do they have lots of levels, and baskets? You can get things like baskets, and things to make levels from the dollar tree. They also need lots of toys and things to play with and for enrichment. Rats are very intelligent, and need something to keep them busy.

They have a house hideaway,a couple of things they can play or hide under,a hammock and the cage has 3 levels.if i give them treats sometimes they will come to the door and climb on my hand,other times i have to reach in and hand it to them,im guessing it will just take time

Some rats take some time to settle down and love their new home. And also, some rats do get upset if their cage is changed or new things are added. They are funny little critters.

Back