Need Help with Mouse Home

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cptjack526

What would be a suite cage/habitat for a little mouse. I know nothing about mice. Are they much different then a rat? Do they like to climb and enjoy hammocks?

From what I know they are absolutely nothing alike haha.
I know they should be kept in wire cages like rats with at least 1 cubic foot of space per mouse.
Where did the mouse come from? Is it a boy or girl?

From what I know they are absolutely nothing alike haha.
I know they should be kept in wire cages like rats with at least 1 cubic foot of space per mouse.
Where did the mouse come from? Is it a boy or girl?
My 10 year old is taking an animal science class and part of class is taking turns caring for the class pet, a VERY smelly boy mouse. He is in a tiny cage. Since we will have him for two weeks, I wanted to give him a nice home while with us.

Aww well I hope it's at least appropriately sized. That's very sad if they are keeping him in a cage that's much too small. ); He should have something that's at least a cubic foot - so like 12"x18"x12" minimum. He might like a wheel, they make smaller sized ones for mice.
Haha I have heard they are smelly. They aren't neat freaks that constantly clean themselves like rats are.

Mice can escape easily. we keep ours in bin cages and they cannot get out. It is under 20.00 to make it. Just take a bit of effort.

You can see our bin cages in the middle here.

10570378_10152280689291409_1410524215444418626_n.jpg

Those are great! How did you make those and How often do you have to clean those? I have 2 baby boy meece and they are starting to get smelly and I know as they mature it will get stronger. They are in a tiny wired mouse/russian hamster cage.
I need more mice sized stuff for them as most things are rat sized. Once I can get to my shed again (after the 4ft of snow melts) I have a hamster "house" that will give them lots of room and has small spaced bars. For now they are happy in their little L14"xD6"xH12" that has 2cm bar space so they cannot sneak away on me.

I found a nice teeny plastic wheel for them and they love tp rolls so that covers hideys as well as a mini igloo.
I have tried carefresh and next will be aspen to see which works best for their smell. I keep 3 different kinds of bedding asni have skinny pig and nakie rats so nees carefresh for them, paper pellet for potties (but imagine thats not very nice for the wee mice to sleep on) and aspen for the furries as I find it least smelly at the end of a week.

Last edited:
Little mouse haven! I love that!
Once I get the other cage dug out it'll be built up with so much to do. Right now they are so teeny they run on the wheel for 5mins and then sleep the rest of the time. They are eating well and lots. They finally ate some fresh spinach lastnight.

Back