Need help with Baytril/Minocycline and dosing?

Discussion in 'Health & General Care' started by Renee, Nov 28, 2019.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Nov 28, 2019 #1

Renee

Renee

Renee

I've had Daya on Doxy (0.03 mls at 100mg/ml), and Baytril (0.22 mls at 22.7mg/ml) since 11/24/19 and Janny on the same thing since 11/05/19.

Daya was getting so much better, Janny got better but stopped improving.

I went to a new vet because I didn't like the first one very much, and the new vet prescribed something different, under the knowledge I said above.

She made the medicine herself and she recalled things she read in books or what A&M university told her, and when she gave me the medicine, it was sort of chunky. Long story short; She was a little sketchy and it made me nervous, so I need someone to double check her doses.

She also insisted on minocycline, even when I had asked for azithromyacin

She gave me a bottle that says: "Give 0.4 cc orally twice a day to Daya and Janny for URTI. Baytril 10mg/ml and minocycline 5mg/ml. 6 cc LA baytril with 3- 100mg minocycline plus 54 cc strawberry.
    Refills: 0, Quanity: 6, Baytril injectible 100mg/ml"

Can someone translate this to something easier to understand?

My concern is that, from a glance, it seems like she lowered the amount of baytril per dose my ratties will be taking. Is that right, and is that bad?

2. Dec 2, 2019 at 7:51 PM #2

lilspaz68

lilspaz68

lilspaz68

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi there,

I looked up minocycline and its a weaker version of doxycycline and I can only attempt to figure out dosing by using the recommended dosages for doxycline.

But lets go see what she's done okay? (Sorry I didn't see this post earlier)

First though I need the weights on both your girls.

You need weights, concentrations (we have) and recommended dosages (which I can provide) to figure out a dose for your rat.

Renee likes this.
  3. Dec 3, 2019 at 8:20 PM #3

Renee

Renee

Renee

I put both Daya and Janny on this new medicine. I tried to get the vet to give me azithromyacin instead of minocycline but she insisted.
    Daya is heavier than Janny but she has them both taking the same amount. I will do my best to find their weight but for now all I know is that Janny is over 300 grams and Daya is over 400. Thank you for your help!