Need help diagnosing reason for hair loss

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxdevine00

My eldest female rat (~1.6yo) has been loosing hair in one single patch on her head over the past few weeks. She had a Myco infection about 2 months ago and was cured with Baytril and Doxy (but is still on low dose Baytril). She lives with 2 other young rats that are in good health. I do not see any signs of scabbing/ parasites or any other symptoms. She is not losing hair from any other area on her body which is why i'm very confused about what this could be. She does not seem to be bothered by it and is not over-grooming the area so I think it must either be on of her sisters or some disease. Has anyone else had this happen before and should I be worried?
tempImagey4K6YC.png
tempImageSMPzMh.png

I have to agree. Skin looks fine amd its just one perfect patch. One of her cagemates is barbering her it looks like. If you observe carefully watch for one of the youngsters grooming her head obsessively there. She may eep or peep while they are doing it.

Thank y'all for the help! I dont usually see them doing that during the day so it must be at night. Do you know of any treatment for this or how to prevent the little ones from grooming her? Also, are there any signs that I should be looking out for that suggest that it is not barbering/ I need to go to the vet? I'm just worried for cancer/ parasites etc.

Definitely not either of those things. I've seen self-barberers and cagemate barberers too many times as well as parasites (see link below), bacterial skin infections and cancee.. Ive got a male who barbers a perfect little spot (rough diamond shape) on his cagemates back. Its a compulsion that often passes in time,so not a lot you can do.
http://lilspazrathospice.blogspot.com/2016/11/whats-on-my-rat-ectoparasites.html?m=1

Back