Need help choosing between cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ava

I have limited space width wise for my rat cage so it’s been hard finding a good fit. In a perfect world I would buy a critter nation but that’s just not going to work for now. I’m getting two females and I will make sure they have plenty of free play every day, but I’m still worried about how small the cages are. I need help deciding between these two:

Ware cage
Pros:
-more floor space
-looks less “cage like”
-taller
-has casters
Cons:
-needs modifications (to make a deep base)
-don’t know much about quality

Marins cage r 690
pros:
-good reputation
-lightweight (easy cleaning)
-deep base
cons:
-not very deep (14”)
-less floor space
-more cage like

The martins R690 is completely unsuitable. The main problem is the tiny horizontal space. Rats need a floor space at least 30 inches by 18 inches with height with large levels. Rats require a great deal of horizontal space and this need increases as they age. Do not even consider buying this cage ... I had it as a temporary cage and it is way too small ..... it might be ok for a small hamster but not for a rat of any age.

The ware cage also has floor space that is too small as well as other problems such as a bottom pan that rats can chew their way through. I would never recommend this cage to a rat owner and I would never use it to house rats.

If you do not have enough space for a martins R680 or R695 powder coated with flip top lid (base is only the min. size for a rat cage, 30 inches by 18 inches - it could sit on top of a desk, dresser etc) or a midwest critter nation, then you do not have enough space for a rat.

Sorry but neither of those cages would be good for rats
No matter how many hours a day you take the ratties out (actually they need to be out in a safe play area where they can interact with you, climb, play explore, run, etc for at least 1 or 2 hours a day), they will spend most of their time in a cage so it must be large enough.

and i have seen the ware cage in person its not the greatest cage the bottom thing broke real easy and we had to tape it up to use it(for ferrets) we used it at the spca here where i worked. And like SQ says they can chew it and them get out.

the critter nation addon does not come with a top because you use the top of the cage you are adding onto - so no good for this
The bar spacing on a ferret nation is too large and covering the outside of the cage with hardware cloth does not work all that great

I believe it is cage size that is the issue as the single Critter Nation cage in the USA is $150 on amazon and $153 at Pet Smart in the USA

the critter nation addon does not come with a top because you use the top of the cage you are adding onto - so no good for this
The bar spacing on a ferret nation is too large and covering the outside of the cage with hardware cloth does not work all that great

I believe it is cage size that is the issue as the single Critter Nation cage in the USA is $150 on amazon and $153 at Pet Smart in the USA

Oh i did not know that thanks!

Where are you? I have both of those cages that you can have. My Martin's is painted blue and tub is painted green, it has an upper and lower level with small doors on each level, and it's on castors, so it rolls easily. I will throw in a good (meaning fully plastic, so no injuries) big wheel and I even have some commercial carpeting that can be clipped down with binders, also included. Unfortunately it does not break down so must be picked up or shipped whole, bit it's light. My other cage is not a Water, but a Prevue. Basically same thing... double level with doors on right-hand side, and it has 2 shelves and ramps (plastic), and comes with castors and rolls but it's heavier. It DOES break down so it can be shipped easily but it's much heavier. In addition, I have 2 PetSmart type cages with the breakdown and stowable construction. One is actually semi large, but smaller than what you're looking for, and comes with shelves, ramps, bowl, bottle, etc. It was a starter cage, definably good for 2 rats and easiest to clean as the bottom is a plastic rectangular bin that is held on with a couple clamps like latches that are connected to the cage. It's very transportable and breaks down into a small folded up layer of sides. My last cage is more or a temporary single or double occupancy in the likeness of the PetSmart cage just described, but smaller and one level. It can be used as a hospice or quarantine cage, and I would even just toss it in with the PetSmart cage since it would probably ship along with it without any increased size or weight, maybe even with the Martin's, as long as the bottom plastic deep dish tray thing isn't longer than the Martin's cage. Anyway, all free if you pay shipping costs. So let me know, I have been accumulating cages along with surrendered rats for awhile now and it's getting harder to keep them going out as fast as they come in. Lol

the critter nation addon is only $99! https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...ion-ferret-cage-add-on-14372.html?cgid=600201 if you could get that one and put it on a dresser or some kind of table i think that would workout?
Toull need to put a top of some sort on it too cuz it doesn't come with one, it uses the existing bottom roller cage's top, or the bottom can be put on top I think if you put it on a big table as you said. I just looked, the bottoms are just the wire inserts, and the top is a whole piece, just like a back piece, but it's different of course. I have a Triple Critter Nation and I remember the 3rd or top cage came with no too piece, which I was confused about until I assembled it onto my 2nd cage and had to remove the top to it and use it on the 3rd cage. Anyway, son you'll need to build, or fabricate a top. You could just put chicken wire over it and twist the cut ends around the top edges of the cage, but be sure not to leave any sharp ends on the inside.

Last edited:
Back