Need advice for my elderly rat - mass in stomach.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravien715

Hi

I am sorry I don't really know where to start because I feel completely defeated. First of all I am going to let whoever reads this know that I was aware of how expensive having rats can be. I was prepared for anything to come my way, what I wasn't expecting was a global pandemic and that I could lose my job very abruptly, and the struggle to find new one that came with it. I just wanted to get that out of the way to make sure I am not seen as some irresponsible lunatic who took on rats without knowing what I am stepping into.

Bob whose 2 years old was seen by a vet two months ago, back then I was told that one of his kidneys feels bigger than the other. It was suggested to me to come back in a couple months for a check-up. We went in this morning and my heart shattered. She told me that if it is in fact kidney that's enlarged then it has grew in size substantially from last time. He didn't seem in pain while being examined, she also told me that everything else seems to be in order - no changes in lungs, heartbeat is fine, he was his usual squirmy self while being handled, the vet also told me he doesn't seem swollen or anything. His behaviour remains pretty much the same, he eats, he drinks, he plays as well as he can given his age.
I was recommended a vet practice that's quite a distance from me because it is reasonably priced compared to what I had to deal with in case of emergencies in my city. My question is has anyone else gone through the same with their rats? I am still taking him to that practice for a scan, but I guess I just want to know what I can possibly expect from this for my own peace of mind. I don't know how I will do it, but I will make sure he gets the care he needs even if it means that I don't eat. My rats are everything to me and I would never let them suffer.

Abdominal masses are awful things BUT some aren't attached or impede internal organs and just continue to grow for ages and the rat acts perfectly normal. Hopefully your lad will be one of those. Most times you will feel an internal mass and within a week or 2 it's time to let them go...sometimes even less. It's very good that there's been no change in your rat up to this point :)

Back